Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeusdo
    • Sep 2003

AVI playback problem

After I installed a new ATI 9550 video card, almost all of my video files have an interlace problem when I try to play them. I files are good because I can view them just fine on another computer. I have installed many different codec packs but nothing works.
  • geno888
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Dec 2005

Try to install latest version of drivers of this graphic card from ATI

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

First off, uninstall all "codec packs". Download only the codecs you need. You can use <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/software/gspot.html">GSpot</a> to find out which codec are needed for playback.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

zeusdo, installing codec packs, as mentioned above, was a mistake. uninstall all codec packs through control panel-->add/remove programs

my list of what is needed regarding codecs/filters on any PC:

Originally Posted by anonymez
        ffdshow - get it from http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/ffdshow

nvidia purevideo codec (you can substitute windvd/powerdvd here) -for dvd's/mpeg-2 (i use dscaler instead, IMO it beats everything else)

real alternative - so you don't have to install 'realone player'

quicktime alternative - so you don't have to install quicktime

media player classic - extremely stable and fast media player. best player ever.

oggDS filter - directshow filter for ogm/ogg

windows media player 10 if you wish

that's it. install nothing else, especially codec packs
        also, as geno mentioned, make sure you have the latest ATI drivers (and make sure you've also removed traces of OLD graphics card drivers). also ensure you've got a capable dvd decoder installed on your system (eg powerdvd or windvd)
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• zeusdo
          • Sep 2003

I have uninstalled all codec packs and installed the latest driver for the video card but it still does not work. The videos still play with some type of interlace problem. I have used different players and I get the same problem with all. One thing that did work was opening a video file in VirtualDub and previewing a file and it played just fine. Something else in noticed, after I installed the new video card, when I try to open a file in Window Mediaplayer, there is a popup that says "Powered by ASUS SPLENDID", that shows up in the upper right hand corner for a few seconds.

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

is this what you have www.100fps.com

Comment

• zeusdo
              • Sep 2003

Yes

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

ok if the avi file is indeed definitely interlaced (which is very uncommon, and usually undesireable. mpeg-2 content is usually interlaced), the best solution is to use ffdshow to perform the deinterlacing.

make sure you have the latest version, or a recent one http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiw...etting+ffdshow

go start-->program files-->ffdshow-->video decoder configuration. click 'deinterlacing' in the column on the left, and tick the box. choose a deinterlacing method. i'd use bob, but you can go with kerneldeint(or kernel bob) if you wish

uninstall 'asus splendid'. it seems to be decoding your video, when ffdshow should.

play with 'media player classic'
                Last edited by anonymez; 28 Dec 2005, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• zeusdo
                  • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by anonymez
                  uninstall 'asus splendid'. it seems to be decoding your video, when ffdshow should.
                  I had never noticed the ASUS SLENDID in the program list before. I uninstalled that and it fixed everything, I didn't even need ffdshow. Thanks for your help, this has been driving me crazy, thanks again!

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

lol glad we could help

btw, this confirms the avi files are NOT interlaced, just being decoded poorly
                    Last edited by anonymez; 29 Dec 2005, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...