Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Relion
    • Apr 2002

Resolution???

I m newbie (this is my first post actually) and have just ripped my first DVD. I last 3 days to find the right tools (easy way is not the right way ). The thing is the following: Its a very good 640*480 divx 4.12 rip and plays ok in my athlon 650Mhz but it looks choppy in my k6-450Mhz. What resolution is ok to work on most machines keeping good quality (say most = 300Mhz or more). Is it cpu problem, bitrate, or as I think resolution problem??? Sorry for my english.
    P.D. Any help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

In that case, 640x480 is definitely too high for your 450. Even your 650 is probably only barely coping. For 300MHz systems, a resolution of 320x240 is optimal. You could try 480x360, though I wouldn't want to hold my breath there. The same goes for your 450. You could even try 512x384, but I think 480x360 will be just nice.

Comment

• Relion
      • Apr 2002

Thanks Enchant

Thanks. It plays ok on my Athlon anyway

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To Relion

Just so that you're not mislead:

I play 720x480 DivX-compressed .AVI videos on my PII 266 laptop without problems. The only caveat is that I set the desktop (not the video) to 640x480 16 bit color...

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

What bitrate are you using anyway? Too high a bitrate is also a cause for choppy playback, esp. when coupled with too high a video resolution.

Setting a video resolution of 720x480 and watching it on a 640x480 desktop resolution is rather silly. The whole video takes away your entire desktop estate, esp. when you don't intend to watch it full-screen. Also, when your bitrate is just moderately high (700-1000), it is always a better idea to use a moderate resolution like the ones I outlined and end up with sharper picture. I've seen similarly-sized video files at different resolutions (512x384 and 720x480). The latter looks noticably more washed out in colour, even though it may be a tad sharper (Maybe...). However, CPU utilisation went up high for that video.

I have created and downloaded videos with 4:3 AR. Nearly all encoders (Shall I name the groups?) prefer the lower resolutions, rather than the full 720x480 DVD resolution. There is an unspoken agrrement between us that this resolution is just 'unprofessional.'
          Last edited by Enchanter; 10 Apr 2002, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Relion
            • Apr 2002

???

Ok, then whats are the best resolution/bitrate combinations, for my athlon and for my k6???

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To Enchanter

At the risk of offending you:

First of all, you've missed my point to Relion completely - which is, to state it simply, lower powered machines are not nearly that restricting regarding playback.
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is an unspoken agrrement between us that this resolution is just 'unprofessional.' "

Secondly, your statement (above) is nothing if not arrogant. I guess it's a wise thing to keep it an "unspoken agreement". I guess I should feel pleased not be a member of any such restrictive unnamed "groups" that have somehow decided that the HOBBY of ripping, converting, and viewing compressed videos is now a "PROFESSION". I'm sure you'll forgive me for not sharing your point of view...

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Ok, then whats are the best resolution/bitrate combinations, for my athlon and for my k6???
                As I stated above.

To Setarip,
                These groups are basically anime encoders. Their work is generally legal, as long as they are not working on licensed anime. A lot of these groups have excellent and knowledgeable encoders, who can whip up excellent episodes in as small a size as possible. And these groups also have translators, timers and God-knows-who-else working together with the encoder to create the episode. I am sure no one of us will view this whole thng as a profession, but there is a matter of skill and knowledge when it comes to this.

Comment

Working...