Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barn788
    • Dec 2005

Newbie with no computer DVD experience

I have many questions here so i will start at the beginning.

1. I am thinking about getting a DVD burner. I want to use it for the purpose of backing up some of my store bought DVDs.What exactly do I need to get. My computer is old and slow the specs are: 20GB HD, 128 Mb RAM, 667 Mhz Pentium 3 processor, and the only drives on the computer are a CD-ROM and 3.5" floppy. I dont care if I will be able to play them on the computer or not. So, due to limited HS storage I do ont want to store DVDs on the computer.

2. what do the numbers on burners/disks mean (16X, 8X)?

3. What is the difference between +R and -R?

4. How good of quality will the burned DVDs be?

5. And aprrox. how long will it take to burn a standard DVD movie?

I have looked at quides posted in this form and did not really understand any of them
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by barn788
    I have many questions here so i will start at the beginning.

1. I am thinking about getting a DVD burner. I want to use it for the purpose of backing up some of my store bought DVDs.What exactly do I need to get. My computer is old and slow the specs are: 20GB HD, 128 Mb RAM, 667 Mhz Pentium 3 processor, and the only drives on the computer are a CD-ROM and 3.5" floppy. I dont care if I will be able to play them on the computer or not. So, due to limited HS storage I do ont want to store DVDs on the computer.

-buy a Dual layered DVD burner, search forum for specifics and performance.

-Your desktop seems old and slow which means more processing time for everything that you read in this forum with regards to backing up your DVD. More RAM and HDD will definitely help.

- A commercial DVD will require upto 8 GB free storage space on your HDD even though if its a 1:1 copy.

- If you want to sqeeze a commercial DVD onto a DVD5, you will need more free space, upto 20 GB for processing the files.

Those are the speeds for read/write.

3. What is the difference between +R and -R?
    Different formats, thats it, -R came first then +R, +R is more closer to the commercial DVD, but you also need to check the compatibility with your SAP.

4. How good of quality will the burned DVDs be?
    1:1 burns will be similar to commercial DVD(you need dual layer burner). Compressed DVD also quality would be good, depending on what process you use to squeeze them.

5. And aprrox. how long will it take to burn a standard DVD movie?
    reliable buring at 4x, does not take more than 15 min but processing may take more time depending on the source and the methods used.

I have looked at quides posted in this form and did not really understand any of them
    Follow them step by step, you will get used to it and dont worry most guides are very simple, you can do it.

Comment

• barn788
      • Dec 2005

Thanks, but I would still like a couple of things clarified.

Since I only have a CD ROM drive, will I also need to get a DVD ROM drive in addition to the DVD burner or will the DVD also store the DVD on the computer?

Quote:

Does that mean it will write the DVD 8 times as fast as it plays?

Quote:
      Different formats, thats it, -R came first then +R, +R is more closer to the commercial DVD, but you also need to check the compatibility with your SAP.

What does SAP mean?

And again thank you

Comment

• techreactor
        Banned
        • Jul 2005

Thanks, but I would still like a couple of things clarified.

Since I only have a CD ROM drive, will I also need to get a DVD ROM drive in addition to the DVD burner or will the DVD also store the DVD on the computer?

Quote:

Does that mean it will write the DVD 8 times as fast as it plays?

Quote:

What does SAP mean?

And again thank you
        Your burner will work as a DVD-ROM also. But check with your vendor you can buy a DVD RW/R + CD-RW/R as a combo option.

Check your vendor with the read/write speeds usually both are different .

Stand Alone Player i.e. your DVD player, you need to consult your player manual or the vendor to check if your player will work with DVD+/- R or not.

Anytime

Comment

• barn788
          • Dec 2005

thank you for all your help

Comment

Working...