Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wikkie2204
    • Jan 2006

Two Questions

First, I'm looking for information related to converting VHS to DVD using my computer. What type of hardware and programs would I need and what is recommended? Also, can you put multiple VHS tapes onto one DVD? I teach as a side job and have a bunch of videos that are maybe 20-30 minutes long and rather then lugging them all around for a course, I'd rather convert them to a DVD and take up so much less space.

Secondly, Opinions about converting from VHS to DVD using a commercial VCR-DVD Burner deck, like a sony or daewoo, etc. Opinions and recommendations on this? Does this have the ability to put multiple videos onto a single DVD like my first question?
  • Sparkette
    • Jan 2006

Hi wikkie,
    I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but I use Pinnacle Studio 9+, and my Sony TRV40 DV cam corder. You could also use an AV/DV card in your computer. I use the camera because I transfer Hi8, and 8mm analog movies as well. I just connect my camera to my VCR, and send the movie to my camera. This changes the analog signal to digital. Then I transfer it to my computer using Studio's capturing software. Then I'm able to edit it anyway I want. Cut out parts, add transitions,menus, music etc., and then burn to DVD. This is a lot easier than you may think. Hope this helps!

Donna
    Last edited by Sparkette; 17 Jan 2006, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Sparkette
      • Jan 2006

I forgot to mention...you can put quite a bit of video on DVD. I try to keep it to an hour or less...otherwise the video quality starts to deteriorate. I think you get 120 minutes max, on a single layer DVD. 71 minutes at 100% quality. If your TV is not HUGE, it won't really matter. Hope this helps.

Donna

Comment

• wikkie2204
        • Jan 2006

Donna,

I appreciate the input. I don't have a digital camcorder however. I will look into Pinnacle Studio 9. I'm trying to find the cheapest method of doing this as I have a lot of materials to convert. The academy that I teach for is currently in the process of purchasing a DVD/VHS recorder but I don't want to have to sit there all night while copying media. Thanks for the information and I will let you know how it turns out.

Dave

Comment

• Sparkette
          • Jan 2006

Your cheapest option would probably be the AV/DV capture card. You can pick one up for around 50 bucks. Then you will need a software program that will capture video. This way you can plug the VCR into the AV/DV card on your PC, and let her rip. I'm not sure how much the DVD recorders are going for, but if you are not concerned with editing the video, or adding music, menus etc., it might be your "simplest" route. Good luck to you!

Donna

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

that's what i did. mine was 60$. it came with it's own software (which is actually crappy) and a remote. your pc becomes a fully functional t.v with remote. hook the VCR to the input and capturing is easy. even if it didn't come with software windows movie maker can do it too (which is even crappier though) virtualdub can capture aswell not to mention a ton a freeware on the net.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2003

For converting vhs to put on a dvd I wouldnt use a full dvd resolution (720x480/576) as vhs is 352x240. 1/2 D1 (352x480) or 1/4 D1 (352x240) IMO would be a much better option. Both are dvd compliant and will have a smaller file size. You can't put information into a video that isn't there so full
              D1 will only waste space. After you encode the captures use Tmpgenc dvd Author. Load the 1st mpeg 1/2 and use "add track" to load the other mpeg 1/2's. This will allow you to add a title for each of the 20-30 videos and allow you to choose which one you want to play from the authored dvd menu.

Comment

Working...