Audio encoding error with VirtualDub, need help with AVI file please!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salsero12
    • Jan 2006

Audio encoding error with VirtualDub, need help with AVI file please!!!

hi!

i'm completely new with everything that relates to making VCD's out of AVI's so i don't know much and i've encountered a big problem.

I have an AVI file that's about 700mb and i want to be able to burn it on something so i can watch it on my DVD player... what should i do?

I wanted to burn it onto a VCD but that means the file has to be VCD compliant... or an mpg..

I tried to use TMPGenc but it didn't work at all... when i load the file the audio track is no where to be found... i encoded the AVI into a VCD compliant file and the video file ended up having no sound... not cool

so then i tried VirtualDub but when i opened the file i encountered the following message

There's an improper VBR audio encoding in the file and Virtualdub will rewrite the aduio head with standard CBR values... this may introduce skew from the video... if it's unaccpetalbe then decompress the entire audio stream to an uncompressed wav file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder...

I don't understand what anything of that means... remember i don't know much

someone please help me figure out what to do because i used VirtualDub but the file i got out of encoding had the audio not in synch with video

Please help!!!!!

P.s. my computer has a very small hardrive... i only can afford 1 GB and i don't think i would be able to have a wav file of the entire 1 1/2 hour video... is there anyway to work with mp3's???
  • Salsero12
    • Jan 2006

can nobody help me?

Comment

• geno888
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Dec 2005

This message is due to an audio encoded with variable bitrate.

With audio streams encoded in this way, TMPGEnc is not able to work.

To solve this problem you should save audio stream as separate file with virtualdub in this way:

1) open your avi in virtualdub
      2) go to menu File and select "save wav"

After finished to save audio file (it will be a big file),
      3) go to menu Audio and select "no audio"
      4) go to menu Video and select "direct stream copy"
      5) press F7 and save video stream only

In this way you have two separate files for audio and for video.

Now use these separate files in TMPGEnc to convert avi in mpeg and this time all should work.

To see if this work, is not necessary to encode all movie. Select a little range (a couple of minuts), encode this little mpeg file and try if it works correctly. If it's correct, then encode the entire movie

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

This message is due to an audio encoded with variable bitrate.

With audio streams encoded in this way, TMPGEnc is not able to work.
        many think this but it's not true. i encode VBR with tmpgenc all the time with perfect sync. raising the directshow on tmpgenc should be enough--if not i'd convert the audio to a .wav file like geno said, and use this as your audio input for tmpgenc.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• geno888
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
          many think this but it's not true. i encode VBR with tmpgenc all the time with perfect sync. raising the directshow on tmpgenc should be enough--if not i'd convert the audio to a .wav file like geno said, and use this as your audio input for tmpgenc.
          Thanks for this information

I posted that is not possible because until now I wasn't able to encode a movie with vbr, but I'll try it

Comment

• Salsero12
            • Jan 2006

Thanks a lot Geno... i will try to do it

LT... how did u do it with tmpgenc??? can u explain step by step how you raise the directshow? (Don't know what that means.. hahahahha)

oh... but about converting the audio to wav... i don't know if i have enough space on my hard drive... is there any program that will extract the audio of the video as an mp3???
            Last edited by Salsero12; 17 Jan 2006, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by geno888
              Thanks for this information

I posted that is not possible because until now I wasn't able to encode a movie with vbr, but I'll try it
              np. the key is to have the directshow raised. i always leave it there.

@salsero12

see this in the guide

Go to the TMPGEnc's Option menu and select Environmental settings. From there, select the
              VFAPI Plug-in tab.

There you see a list of various reader plugins installed for the TMPGEnc. The one that's called DirectShow Multimedia File Reader is the one that we're looking at. As a default, its priority is -1. Select the item and right click on it. Choose Higher priority and repeat this until the "Priority" for this item is higher than any other plugin's priority in the list (usually 2). LEAVE this set always. I have found 50% of files won’t even open or produce write stream errros unless this is set.
              Another option is to change the audio to a .WAV file using Virtualdub. Load the file. Go to "video">Direct stream copy. Under "audio">full processing mode, Click "audio" again. click Conversion check 48,000Hz and check "high quality" and ok. Go to "audio" >compression, select "no compression" (PCM) and ok. Finally go to FILE> save WAV. this will produce a .wav file (audio only). You will use this as the audio input for TMPGenc.
              like i said, i never need to use the wav method with VBR audio. i use it for something else.
              Last edited by LT. Columbo; 17 Jan 2006, 12:10 PM.
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Salsero12
                • Jan 2006

Question

I know that if i right-click an AVI file i can see all the details about the file... but how can i check the details about an mpg? If i right-click it doesn't show me any specifi info like frame rate, etc.

I ask this because i am having trouble making some mpg files VCD compliant... i'm trying to do it with TMPGenc but when i select the mpg source file i get a message that says

"the file cannot open, or unsupported"

Can you help me with this? what is wrong with the file? TMPGenc does it with several of my MPG files. I thought the whole purpose of TMPGenc was to help me make the MPG VCD compliant but it doesn't let me open the files ???
                Last edited by Salsero12; 17 Jan 2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

Question

I know that if i right-click an AVI file i can see all the details about the file... but how can i check the details about an mpg? If i right-click it doesn't show me any specifi info like frame rate, etc.
                  open virtualdubmod (link in the guide) load the mpg, go to file>file information. post a screenshot of that window.

BTW: did you get the avi to encode or load yet?
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• celtic_druid
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Dec 2005

Another option is to frameserve the avi to TMPGEnc via AVISynth. AVISynth has no problem with VBR mp3 audio and serves it to TMPGEnc as PCM on the fly. Also speeds up encoding if you do the resizing in AVISynth.

Comment

• Salsero12
                      • Jan 2006

open virtualdubmod (link in the guide) load the mpg, go to file>file information. post a screenshot of that window.

BTW: did you get the avi to encode or load yet?
                      I have virtualdubmod but it doesn't work... it freezes all the time... can't even open a file

I'm going to encode the video tomorrow cause i need to do it on my parent's computer... it has a bigger hard drive

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

you may lack the appropriate codec then. is this a divx or xvid avi perhaps?
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...