Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rangerzx3
    • Jan 2006

Cant Record Movies Off Satellite

Hey guys, I have a Toshiba D-R4 DVD Recorder, and I tried to record a movie off of Direct TV and after about 1 minute a message poped up and said that "you are recording copyright material, movie cannot copy". Why cant I record movies off of Satellite? There is no copyright. Any ideas? I know I cant copy say Wedding Crashers because the disc is encrypted but satellite shouldnt be?
  • Cambion7
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by rangerzx3
    Hey guys, I have a Toshiba D-R4 DVD Recorder, and I tried to record a movie off of Direct TV and after about 1 minute a message poped up and said that "you are recording copyright material, movie cannot copy". Why cant I record movies off of Satellite? There is no copyright. Any ideas? I know I cant copy say Wedding Crashers because the disc is encrypted but satellite shouldnt be?
    It's a digital copyright protection code. The fact that your recorder is displaying the message means the protect bit is set to ON. Either the show you are attempting to record does not allow people to do so, or your provider has limited people by preventing copying.

There are a few bits that can be set: Unlimited, Record one time, prohibit record.

The only way you could even record is if you have an OLD VCR that doesn't have the built in digital rights manager. I've tried backing up my purchased VHS tapes from the BBC and those had the same protection; my Pioneer DVR displays that I am not allowed to copy the material.

Regards,
    Cambion7
    Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
    - Confidence

Comment

• ed klein
      Banned
      • Mar 2004

Cambion7
      Question

I have a DVD recorder ILO DVDRHD04 which comes with an 80gb hard drive, I have modified the DVD recorder with the latest software package to remove CSS copy protection and region free.

I currently use the recorder in this way, any analog input signal goes into the hard drive, and then remove any commercials or anything else that needs removal and then burn to a DVD+R (DVD-5) blank disk. Works great have had zero problems, as long as you keep the software package up to date.

Can I do this same procedure with a digital siginal as input. Being the recorder has the ability to remove CSS copy protection and region free.

I don't mean the latest copy protection of HD and blue-ray disks just the current main stream copy protection of CSS.

Comment

• rangerzx3
        • Jan 2006

unfortunately it does not have a hard drive. If I cant record movies off of satellite, I am begining to wonder what the piont of having one is, besides converting old home movies.

Comment

• Cambion7
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by ed klein
          Cambion7
          Question

I have a DVD recorder ILO DVDRHD04 which comes with an 80gb hard drive, I have modified the DVD recorder with the latest software package to remove CSS copy protection and region free.

I currently use the recorder in this way, any analog input signal goes into the hard drive, and then remove any commercials or anything else that needs removal and then burn to a DVD+R (DVD-5) blank disk. Works great have had zero problems, as long as you keep the software package up to date.

Can I do this same procedure with a digital siginal as input. Being the recorder has the ability to remove CSS copy protection and region free.

I don't mean the latest copy protection of HD and blue-ray disks just the current main stream copy protection of CSS.
          As fas as copying stuff, I record programs off my Digital Cable's DVR by sending it from the output of the box to the inbox of my Pioneer DVR, and I am recording digital cable channels. The problem is with the Digital Rights bit. This can't be filtered like you can do with Macrovision and a video stabilizer box. So you can copy digital video so long as that bit is not set. (note: this is taking into consideration no hardware modifications to defeat said bit.)

Regards,
          Cambion7
          Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

- Confidence

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

Cambion7
            Question
            If you were just going to copy the digital signal (assuming that the bit is not set) why do you even need the Digital cable DVR.

Can't you take the input coxial cable digital signal directly to your Pioneer DVR
            and then output the signal to your TV? And do all the channel selection within your Pioneer DVR or TV? And copying within your Pioneer DVR?

I thought the cable company's Digital cable DVR that you rent on a monthly basis is just an add on cost to your monthly bill. And that you did not need to rent it if you have your own DVD recorder.

Comment

• Cambion7
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by ed klein
              Cambion7
              Question
              I thought the cable company's Digital cable DVR that you rent on a monthly basis is just an add on cost to your monthly bill. And that you did not need to rent it if you have your own DVD recorder.
              Unfortunately it's not that easy. You could go out and purchase a digital compatible cable box. But without a box, unless your DVR has a built-in digital tuner you will be out of luck. Also, the digital cable box you buy or rent/lease is addressable, meaning the cable company can specifically log into YOUR box, make any needed changes, and so forth as well as charging you for viewed programs that are pay-per-view, channels you are subscribed to including those requiring descrambling. And because of descrambling the DVR in your stand-alone won't be enough. I can directly connect my DVR to the cable line and bypass the box all-together. But I won't be able to watch any of the digital programming, just the lower 70 channels which are analog (for now).

Hope this clears things up. :smile

Regards,
              Cambion7
              Last edited by Cambion7; 24 Jan 2006, 08:44 AM.

- Confidence

Comment

• ed klein
                Banned
                • Mar 2004

Thanks Cambion7, you have been a great help. That also explains why I see those RJ45 telephone jacks on the backplane, needing a telephone line connected to them, for the addressing. Thanks again Cambion7

Comment

• Cambion7
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Nov 2005

You're welcome Ed. Just for info, Comcast here in California, USA does all of their addressing via the same coaxial cable they use to send the TV signals.

Best Regards,
                  Cambion7

- Confidence

Comment

Working...