How do you convert an AAC File to mp3lame?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shadowofthedark
    • Aug 2005

How do you convert an AAC File to mp3lame?

I have a mkv video file. I extracted it using mkvextractgui. It gave me 4 files. video, 2 audios and a sub file. Audio is an aac file and I can't seem to convert it to mp3lame using dbpoweramp. It says I need Advanced Audio Compression codec which I already downloaded and installed. However I still can't convert it to mp3lame. How can I convert it to mp3 lame? What's AAC? Thanks!
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

What's AAC?
    Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), also known as MPEG-2 Part 7, is a digital audio encoding and lossy compression format. It was popularized by Apple Computer through its iPod and iTunes Music Store.
    AAC was designed as an improved-performance codec relative to MP3 (which was specified in MPEG-1) and MPEG-2 Part 3 (which is also known as "MPEG-2 Audio" or ISO/IEC 13818-3).

AAC was promoted as the successor to MP3 for audio coding at medium to high bit rates.

Try Besweet for conversion.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• celtic_druid
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Dec 2005

You would need a plugin that can handle raw aac streams, not just mp4's containing aac. Also if the files are he aac be careful that the converter correctly recognises the SBR part without a header to tell it.

Comment

• Shadowofthedark
        • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by celtic_druid
        You would need a plugin that can handle raw aac streams, not just mp4's containing aac. Also if the files are he aac be careful that the converter correctly recognises the SBR part without a header to tell it.
        I didn't understand that.

Also, I already have besweet, but I can't convert it to mp3. I also have belight but it seems that they can't read the aac file.

Comment

• celtic_druid
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

What I mean is that a lot of apps expect aac streams to be in a container.

This: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/dMC-AAC-Codec.exe however does claim to handle raw aac files. One option would be to use mplayer to decode from the mkv. Should be possible to pipe to lame for encoding.

Comment

• Shadowofthedark
            • Aug 2005

Thanks, your codec worked. Kinda annoying that the dbpoweramp pop up recommendation codec didn't work. It should have been the codec that you pointed out. Thanks!

Comment

• celtic_druid
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

Well I just went to the site and to the required codec. As I said raw aac files would I think be far less common than those in an mp4 container. So I guess maybe that is what it was recommending?

Comment

Working...