Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chadster
    • Apr 2006

Howdy! Newbie with a lot of problems

Hi everyone. My names Chad, and I have a problem with my dvd recorder and need some help.

My dvd recorder/player won't play ANY DVDs no matter what. No photo cds, regular cds, dvds, dvd-rs, rws, so on so on. I was told it was the laser got worn out. How can I repair this problem, and should I stick to watching DVD's and a normal DVD player?

Also, which dvd's are the best for recording dvd-r and dvd-rw? Where can I find double sided DVD-Rs? A friend told me of their existence, but I didn't believe him.

Thank You very much for any help,

Chad
  • locoeng
    Who Farted?
    • Dec 2005

Post the model number and firmware version of your burner...a firmware update could be the fix. Also make sure that DMA is enabled for you burner.

Recommended media would include Verbatim, Tiayo Yuden, Sony, Fuji and Maxell...all made in Japan except the verbatims. DL media is available, but currently costs about 4X what the single layer discs cost. A simple google search can lead you in the right direction.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Comment

• chadster
      • Apr 2006

Thank you for your warm welcome. Its highly appreciated.

The item is an RCA DVD/Recorder VCR Combo. The number is DRC8295N.

If it helps, the VCR has been experencing similar problems. It'll play, but not very well.

Comment

• Gary D
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Ifound this posting at videohelp. The user that posted said the RW discs had to be erased multiple times on the computer before being reused?

Since the VCR is also causing problems, I wonder if it is a dust issue inside. Try cleaning the VCR heads and use a commercial DVD cleaner. Otherwise bring it in BUT be careful as "inspection charges" could cost more than a new unit. 2years ago they were still over $200.00 CAN but now can cost less than $100.00. If buying new, do the research first. Videohelp is a great place to start.
        Gary D

Comment

• a2j3
          If it aint broke, don't fix it
          • Feb 2006

Hello chadster

http://www.dvd-supply.com/double-sided-dvd-r1.html click link 2 c double sided dvd-r's or click here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=325439
          Last edited by a2j3; 12 Apr 2006, 04:59 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...