X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johny_Jones
    • Apr 2002

Burning woes...

Ok, so I admit I need help ....

Story so far - I 've just about got the hang of encoding vob to avi files, using Flask 0.594, and they play back fine off of the HD.
    So far, so great! These forums really helped .

But burning to CD with Nero is the problem.
    Sometimes the CDs dont play back at all, and when they do play the video freezes slightly every few seconds like a constant glitch.
    Its almost watchable, and the audio stays in synch finally, but its still annoying.
    Please tell me that having come this far I can get smooth video playback with no jerkiness when playing DivX off CD!

Is there something I dont know about burning? I've just been burning avi files as though they were CD data files, do I need to do something else, include a codec or autorun file when I write the CD?
    I'm using the 4.12 codec should I change?

I've looked and I cant find much info on burning so please, please help as I'm quite close to getting a cool DivX CD.

Thx in advance to all you knowledgable ppl
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I've just been burning avi files as though they were CD data files, do I need to do something else?"

Nope. That's the correct procedure. You may have to either turn on or turn off DMA for your CDROM burner.

By the way, what player are you using to view the CD-burned DivX-compressed .AVIs?

Comment

• Johny_Jones
      • Apr 2002

Thanks for the speedy reply setarip

DMA off or on .... er I dont know what that is, and cant find the option in Nero, where do i find it? I've set Nero for ISO9960, someone said to try Joliet checked or unchecked

I've been playing the burnt CDs with WMP - it plays the files back off the HD smoothly, but its jerky playing from CD. I tried PowerDVD too, but I can't get it to play the CDs at all.

I have windows XP and im wondering if theres an XP prob with nero ....

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

To change DMA settings rightclick on my computer select properties->hardware->'device manager'->'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'
        Double click on either the primary or secondary IDE controller and select advanced settings.
        Here you will be able to change the DMA settings for each drive in your computer.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Johny_Jones
          • Apr 2002

Cheers guys!

Thanks again setarip and khp too ... I actually figured it out just before I read khp's post lol.

I set both IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to "DMA if available" and guess what?
          Success! Nice smooth video playing straight off the CD! So it was a playback problem not burning as I thought.
          Wouldn't have got there on my own so thanks guys, this forum is cool!

Comment

• Johny_Jones
            • Apr 2002

Post Script

This is just an extra thing I noticed - the divx CD plays fine from 1 CD drive - the CDRW - but is still jerky if I play it from the DVD drive.
            Maybe its cause the DVD drive is slower so DMA doesn't help?
            Its not a problem cause I can play from the CDRW drive fine, I'm just kind of curious about whats happening lol!

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Working...