Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoospter
    • May 2002

How to use Virtaul Dub?

I have just recently gotten to that point where I would like to clear some movies off the hard drive. I recently got virtaul dub and am wondering what settings you need to enter in order to use this. Do you just pick compression and then pick a format? Then where does this new file go to? What format is the best to use? How much does it compress this movie? Any help on how to use this program would be great. I try all the read me files and it is no use. Thanks in advance
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Virtualdub basically works as follows.

1. load an avi/avs file into into virtualdub.
    2. configure processing settings for both audio and video.
    3. save as avi. This will then create a new avi file.

'Direct stream copy' means that no conversion is done.
    'Full processing mode' allows you to apply filters and encode in another compression format.

Any Mpeg-4 based codec (such as divx) offer great compression.
    Which version is best is highly debateable, my advice to you would be not to listen to anyone on this. Do your own test and make up your own mind.

How much compression is used, ofcause depend on the bitrate you select. Generally speaking divx offer compression of approx 100:1 compared to uncompressed video.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• russellburrows
      • May 2002

Thank you

Comment

• russellburrows
        • May 2002

Thank you

Comment

• Glassguy
          • May 2002

Can I compress a 710-750 Kb movie small enough so the whole movie will fit on a 700 cd? What program will do this? (I have a number of movies I want to save to cd so I can play back on the computor. Not having much luck with the 'write to vcd" plan.
          Thanks

Comment

• benedict
            Lord of the 4th Estate
            • Jun 2002

Thank You, khp!

I'm probably one of the biggest geeks on one of these boxes you will find. Got into them in fact when we still used vacuum tubes!!!

But this video stuff is a whole new world. It's not so much about what you know about computers, it's what you know about this application of them.

The reason for my thank you? Your explanatin: 'Direct stream copy' means that no conversion is done.
            'Full processing mode' allows you to apply filters and encode in another compression format.

I'm here listening to these terms thrown about as the way to do this or that, but this is the first time I've read anyone say exactly what they mean. And they make perfect sense to me now.

Call me a , but your very simple explanation here probably advanced my learning curve up by 3 or 4 months.

Good post, my friend!
            It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

Working...