Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicolo
    • May 2002

help with an AVI file

i just downloaded the first half of star wars ep 2 from imesh. file is 132MB and in a .avi format. i use windows media player 7.1 and the file will not play. whenever i open it it opens and everything, but there is no sound and no visuals, so it it just a black screen for 45 minutes. the file said something about SMR but i have no idea wat that is. i was thinking that it was the file that was stuffed, but so many other users have the same one, so i figured the problem was with my comp. could someone plz tell me how to open the file, or if it sounds like a problem i cant help. thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

At only 132Mb for 1/2 of the movie, it sounds like it's a fake.

However, in order to determine which codec(s) you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• Schmooveguy
      • May 2002

Same problem - here's the info

Hey there,

I have the same problem - so I loaded the Star Wars first part in VirtualDub. First I got this message:

- Reconstructing Missing Index Block.....

After that: AVI filter import warning: VirtualDub has reconstructed the index for this file, but you have not specified rekeying in the extenden open options dialog. Seeking in this file may be slow.

File info is in Screenshot 1.

I also have a few questions: Why would anyone bother "making" a bogus file and sharing it?

Second: In an earlier thread I saw a reply that said that the "small" size is a good give-away to see if a file is bogus or not. But on Kazaa, most of the Star Wars Attack of the Clones-Divx-es I can find are at max 140 MB per part (two parts in total). ?????

Lotsa TIA<

Schmooveguy
      Attached Files

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

back up the file use divfix. If the movie is a cam or screener and divx, the file size may be appropriate, however it could also be a "fake" or incomplete movie.

Comment

• Schmooveguy
          • May 2002

Well, I loaded the movie into The Playa: turned out to be a shitty trailer for The Scorpion King. Very low visual quality for that size.

I suppose someone made a bad compression or something and wanted to be funny.

Schmooveguy

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To Schmooveguy

"Why would anyone bother "making" a bogus file and sharing it? "

1) Because they can

2) Because uploading may allow them to download more from some sites

3) For the same reason jackasses disseminate viruses

4) To enjoy "burning" people who are greedily attempting to download what they believe are "illegal" videos...

Comment

Working...