X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noheadlettuce
    • Oct 2007

help fixing an avi that exceeds its file limit from a webcam capture

Hi,

I'm having trouble viewing an avi file that I created from a webcam capture. I created a video from leaving a webcam capturing for about 17 hours straight. Before I did this I calculated the free space necessary for this, but I didn't consider the limits of the avi file or the file system itself (it was on NTFS). This was my first time recording with a rather old and program and webcam, both called "logitech quick cam" which I believe is probably 4-5 years old. I had tested the camera at smaller lengths (a couple hours or so) and it worked fine.

When I stopped the camera and tried to view the video it wouldn't play at all. I also noticed that the video was 4gb and was smaller than it should have been given the space I was predicting for that length, which I estimated at around 8gb. I assumed that it stopped recording when it hit its max file size, however, the length it listed the full durration of the video (17 hours) and not 8.3 hours, which would have been equivalent to the 4gb size.

I'm not quite sure if I've ruined all or part of the file or if it has been compressed in some strange manner that can be reversed.

I've tried several programs: DivFix, DivxRepair, AViFixed, NanDub and VirtualDub with no luck, but I'm not sure if I'm approaching them in the proper manner. Mainly I've tried fixing the index and broken frames, but it doesn't seem to work.

As my "newbie" post suggests, this is my first foray into avi repair/encoding etc, so I probably won't be familiar with all the terms, but I'm learning.

Here's my NanDub File and GSpot info:

I would like to salvage as much of this video as possible, or just find out if it is even possible to recover any at all.

Another thing, which I'm not sure is relevant is that while there is an audio track on the file, I don't need it so it can be discarded if that makes things easier for some reason.

thanks
  • olyteddy
    • Nov 2006

Can VLC open it? VirtualDub, maybe?

Comment

• noheadlettuce
      • Oct 2007

It opens in vlc, shows 17 min length and plays, but only has white noise for audio and no picture.

The first couple times I tried VirtualDub it would try to open it but would say that it was reconstructing an index in "aggressive" mode. Once it did this it wasn't able to play the video and the program crashed. Now whenever I try to open it in that program it give me this message:

An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'ir50_32'... ...while decompressing video frame 0 with "Indeo® video 5.10" [biCompression=30355649] (VideoSource.cpp:1832).

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the file seems to make several of the programs I try to play it in unstable and crash.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

see if there's a newer version of that software available

Comment

• noheadlettuce
          • Oct 2007

I just downloaded a newer program from Logitech and it may help solve any future problems with capturing for longer periods of time, but it doesn't include a player for the files it creates (it refers you to Windows Media Player)

My main interest is whether I can salvage anything from the AVI file I've got and this program doesn't help with that because it is only set up for capturing.

thank for you help though

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

make sure you have media player 10 installed, if using windows xp

all the king's men probably can't put humpty dumpty back together again

Comment

• noheadlettuce
              • Oct 2007

Yeah, it is installed. Version 11, I believe.

I figured it was a long shot play this thing, but thanks for your suggestions anyway. I guess none of the repair programs are geared to handle this kind of issue.

Comment

• olyteddy
                • Nov 2006

Have you checked the Tools list at VideoHelp.com?

Comment

• noheadlettuce
                  • Oct 2007

No, I haven't checked that out before, I'll give it a look. Thanks.

I actually have a little bit more hope now, as I was able recover the very first frame of the video using a mysterious program called "video fixer." I can't figure out why it stops after one frame, but at least I know some of the video data isn't corrupted.

Comment

Working...