Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleeperagent
    • May 2002

How to install codecs

I'm just curious about these people trying to install codecs. Isn't codecs comes with the player? If not, where can I get a list of all available codecs and where will I install it???? Thanks.
    "Join the Army, meet interesting people and kill them"
  • Mac Sidewinder
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2002

There are different types of codecs, depending on what you are talking about. There are video encoding codecs, audio codecs, playback codecs, etc. If you want to encode divx, you need either divx 3.11, 4.12 or 5.02 (depending on your choice). If you want to encode vcd or svcd, you need just an encoder such as tmpgenc or cce. If you want to play encodes (depending on your player of choice) you might need one of the above plus an audio codec (such as ac3). You can get these codecs in a package called either nimo, or tsuanami.

What are you looking to do, encode or simply playback?

Mac

Comment

• sleeperagent
      • May 2002

Ok. I've got 2 different movies (.avi) that I wanted to watch then later on convert using VirtualDub and TMPGEnc.I'm getting error when I play both files using Media Player which is "this file is not supported". Fair enough, so I tried using DIVX player 2.0 Alpha to play both movies just to test them.

I dont know the explanation for this but both movies have different file size which are (Movie-A=43.8MB)(Movie-B=71.8MB), but when I tried playing each one of them using DIVX player 2.0, the movies shows some movie trailers. But the thing is, both of them are showing exactly the same movie trailers and their length are the same.

How the hell could that happen??????

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Probably the difference lies in the sound quality (or format?), as well as the video resolution? Virtualdub will be able to show detailed explanations of each file via its File Information feature.

Comment

• sleeperagent
          • May 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
          Probably the difference lies in the sound quality (or format?), as well as the video resolution? Virtualdub will be able to show detailed explanations of each file via its File Information feature.
          I can't even open the file using Virtual Dub. Attached is the error im getting.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

Most probably, you will require the divx 5.02 codec, which can be downloaded at divx.com

Comment

• sleeperagent
              • May 2002

I just uninstalled that because I was having problems with it. I'm testing the nimo pack to see if it's gonna work. Thanks.

Comment

Working...