• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOCTRAE
    • Mar 2002

DMA problem in Ripping

Anyone could give me a help, please?
    First, sorry for my bad english.

I've ripped some DVDs before and it was OK.
    Then, I bought a new DVD-rom (Pioneer DVD/CDRW DCR-111 - 16x - ATA33)
    and enabled DMA.

But since then, I'm having troubles to rip some DVDs (big ones).
    I've tryied Smart Ripper and DVD Decryptor, and both crashes around 30% (something like lack of memory). But I have 512M RAM.

I tryied a lot of things and only when I disabled DMA (DVD and HD), I could successfully rip the big DVD. But it took 50 min with 1,4x speed. (with DMA enabled I could get 5-8x)

So I'd like to know if is there anyone that can rip big DVDs with DMA enabled?
    Any ideas about my problem?

I have PIII 1GHz, Mobo chipset Intel 815ep, Windows 2000 Pro, IDE1-HD Quantum Fireball lct20 30GB (alone), 80 wire flat cable, IDE2-DVD/CDRW (alone) 80 cable, 2 x 256M Sdram PC 133 CL3.
    And I've installed ASPI.

Thanx

Noctrae
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Check whether your motherboard vendor provides any harddrive driver. Make sure that your motherboard driver (in most cases, AGP only) is installed as well.

Comment

• NOCTRAE
      • Mar 2002

Hey Enchanter

The driver is installed.
      I was reading old threads (searched for DMA) and I saw that there's some people that was ripping with low speed, so the DMA wasn't enabled.

The problem was only with this one big DVD. The others one I could rip with DMA enabled.
      Do you rip with DMA enabled?

Thanx

Noctrae

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Yes, I do rip with DMA enabled. Here's the spec of the system which I use for ripping DVDs (Not encoding):

Intel Board D815EEA (Intel 815E Chipset)
        PIII 800MHz (133 MHz FSB)
        512 PC-133 RAM
        7200-rpm 30GB HD
        12X Samsung DVD-ROM (Can't remember the model no.)
        Win2K Pro SP2

All drivers for each components have ben installed (though I've not yet bothered to upgrade some of the older drivers). Everything's working nicely and the WIndows installation has been there for nearly 1 year (No reason to reformat so far).

For your system, try defragmenting your HD and apply Service Pack 2, if you haven't already done so. If it does not work, PIO Mode would have to be used then.

Comment

• spideys
          • Jul 2002

i also use pioneer dvd but i'm lazy to get the details and i also don't (or can't) enable the dma but in the motherboard cd there is a ultra ata storage device and after installing it my ripping speed got faster

however it got some problems afterwards like when your burning and stuff

Comment

• NOCTRAE
            • Mar 2002

I thought that if I'm using NTFS, it woudn't be so necessary defrag every time I rip.(people say that NTFS fragments less than FAT32)

That was my trouble! (I can't believe...) Nothing wrong with DMA.
            Enchanter thanxs a lot! You're always helping me (I read a lot in the Forum)
            And I have Service Pack 2, all the Windows updates done, Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility and Intel Ultra ATA Sorage Driver.

Better I have a partition only for the rips, isn't it?
            Thak you guys

Noctrae

Comment

Working...