Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprint26b
    • Dec 2001

VHS to avi with All-in Wonder

I am new to making the films from vhs to avi. Can I direct encode the film with ati using a codec in the digital vcr setup in ati or do you have to run it first and then use another program to compress it. I have tried saving as avi, but having problems with the codec. I installed the codec 3 and codec 4, but in the custom setup in the digital vcr setup,it will not recognize the codec 3. When I try codec 4.11,it crashes.Is divx 4 for mpeg only? If someone could please outline the procedure (in detail,I'm stupid) and setups for doing this, I would be very thankful. I am a very large sharer of over 200gigs on WinMX and Direct Connect,so a lot of people will benefit as I have a very extensive collection on VHS. I'll get to DVD later. Thanks
    Last edited by sprint26b; 13 Dec 2001, 01:30 AM.
  • davenkeesha
    • Dec 2001

I have just purchased one of those cards. I can't help you yet, but I'd like to stay in touch. I'm putting together an A/V machine from scratch, so I'm anticipating problems.

Let me know what you find out, but, I'm guessing there's no chance of direct to AVI recording. The encoding process takes a lot of processor time; a reasonably fast machine is required just to go to MPG2 (VOB) in real time. Two hours of AVI takes over 3 hours on my P4 1.4GHz.

I'd give you my email, but I'm not sure how kosher that is (new to this post stuff).

Oh yeah... how did you end up with 200GB of shared movies? That's a bunch of HD!

Good luck.

Comment

• sprint26b
      • Dec 2001

On the 200g share

I have 6 hard drives. Two are run from the basic output of the mother board. The other 4 are run from an ATA 100 controller card,which is a plug-in card that has two connectors like the motherboard that each powers two more IDE (HDs) hardware componets. I have a capacity right now of 460 gigs and the drives are easy to change.

Comment

• davenkeesha
        • Dec 2001

I kinda guessed that about the HD capacity, but, its still quite a lot. Kudos to you.

I think I'm correct about the direct-to-avi thingy. It requires too much processing to do in real time (even with your resources... but, I could be wrong).

Please stay in touch. I think my email is posted in my replies (it reads that way when looking at them). I should have file sharing at my house soon (I'm writing this at station at work, and file sharing is "frowned upon"). The best I can do at my place is ISDN (128Kb), and that isn't up yet (they put the line in last week).

I think that one could write an app that would first record the tape, then automatically start the MPG2 to AVI process, but, that's for the guys that know what they're doing.

I'll let you know about sucsess/problems with my ATI+A/V machine as soon as get it in action.

FYI, I'm "dave," and "keesha" is my dog.

Comment

Working...