Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Safarani
    • Feb 2002

MPEG2AVI Codec Selection Failed?

I've recently went from Win2k Pro to Server. Suddenly MPEG2AVI gives me this "Error ID 5: Codec Selection Failed" crap I've never seen before. I've tried running MPEG2AVI under XP Pro and it ran ok (same system) altho I think the system crashed half-way through but that's just XP.

Anyone seen this before and have a suggestion? I've tried re-installing all my codecs, including DivX twice. I was worried that perhaps the AngelPotion codec package may have screwed things up (I initially loaded DivX and then AngelPotion, when I noticed MPEG2AVI wasn't working I reinstalled the DivX codec once again). I've tried both the GUI and working off the command line selecting the codec manually using a variety of different quality settings. Nothing.

Please help! I've got 40gigs of VOB files sitting on my hdd I want to get rid of.

Thanks,
    Saf
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

the only 'error in id5' i'm familiar with is the fact that you must not specify an output filename but have to use an existing directory instead, since latest px3 versions automatically create movie1*.avi.

post the parameter you used here, maybe that might help!?

Comment

• Safarani
      • Feb 2002

Ok, the line I'm using is:
      d:\DivX\GUI\mpeg2v12.exe -b f:\1.vob -f5 -q0 -r2 -o8 d:\

The error I get is:
      #6 cAVIwriter::ui_codec() codec selection failed! Error ID = 5
      avi_fileopen() : ui_codec() failed.

I've tried setting it to goto a directory, I've tried setting it to goto a file, I've tried a number of settings for the codec... I'm at a total loss. And as I said before, those exact settings (with output to a file name instead of a directory) work under my WinXP Pro. And as far as I know they worked under my Windows 2000 Pro earlier.

Any possibility there may be a software conflict? I can't see Server being too horribly different from Pro on the software side of things but then again I'm not very experienced with Server yet.

Any help is appreciated; and if you know a better way of doing this without using MPEG2AVI I'm open to suggestions (note: I don't crop the video, I basically follow the Nicky Page guide for extracting with MPEG2AVI with a couple personal modifications). Thanks

Saf

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

hhmmmm

were are all the resizing and cropping parameter??

take a look at my guide:
        digital, digest, dvd, divx, dvdr, dvd+r, dvd-r, rip, copy, ripping, convert, backup, back, up, shrink, xvid, software, download, news, guide, article

Comment

• Safarani
          • Feb 2002

I don't crop or resize the video so that doesn't matter (altho I should be, I know, I'm just down to the very basics trying to get this to work period).

No matter what parameters I use it always gives me that error.

Saf
          Last edited by Safarani; 16 Feb 2002, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...