X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Vcd *vs* Svcd

Basically, can someone please tell me the difference between VCD and SVCD. And dont say an "S". If you can list the advantages of a SVCD and maybe disadvantages.

Please write it down in crayola for me!
  • -==zamiel==-
    • Nov 2002

Well, I could write a lot of stuff here, but I've attached a file instead which compares different formats according to each standards spec. DVD is in there too, which should provide a good indication of quality.There's quite a lot of tech info there to keep you happie for mennie mennie hours, all sourced from VCDHelp.com, unfortunately offline @ moment.

[NOTE: I have not been able to attach the .doc file, please send email and I will mail it to you]

SVCD is a new format started in Asia which provides better quality then VCDs. SVCDs utilize the mpeg2 codec (same as DVD movies) whereas VCDs utilize the mpeg1 codec. The mpeg2 codec is more processor intensive and will not play well on older computers and even some new ones (so it is still not an ideal distribution format). Also many people (without DVD drives) don't even have an mpeg2 codec on their computer to play it back. And while most DVD players will play VCDs only a few will play SVCDs. And since SVCD still does not cut it for archiving DV quality video I am not big on it, though it is a good VHS archiving solution.

Njoi

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

vcdhelp.com contains detailed information on the svcd and vcd standard. In short svcd offers higher quality

Comment

• wenxibo
        • Dec 2002

VCD can play 74min,SVCD only 45min

VCD can play 74min,SVCD only 45min(use easympeg3)

Comment

Working...