Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulpana
    • Jan 2003

(S)VCD Authoring with Pan & Scan and Letterbox support

Is it possible to author a VCD or SVCD which can automatically adjust its aspect ratio according to the display settings on your DVD player?

For example, your TV is 4x3 and the display settings on the DVD player is set to 4x3 Pan & Scan mode. I want to be able to view a widescreen VCD (16x9) in pan & scan mode where the DVD player automaticaly zooms into the picture and eliminates the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Then by changing the DVD display settings to 4x3 Letterbox mode, you can then get the 16x9 widescreen picture.

Currently, these different display settings on my DVD player only work with DVD's. They have no affect on any VCD's or SVCD's no matter which setting I use.

Is it because (S)VCD's do not support pan & scan and letterbox modes?

Any thoughts?

Paul
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I'm personally not aware of any standalone player that can change the screen format of VCDs or SVCDs...

Comment

• thePest
      • Feb 2003

Hi "paulpana"

the answer is a big fat "NOOOOO!".

Pan & Scan is done at the authouring stage before they even stamp the DVD. This is done for those who don't like the blk bars. There is NO program to do this. Cause it's two separate DVDs. Thus when you order a legal DVD. They ask "Do you want Widescreen or Pan & Scan" On older 1st year DVDS they would put both, one on each side.

Pan & scan is done by the editor doing the authouring. They enlarge the frame to fit a 4:3 viewing monitor. Then on each section they Go Back {Pan} and forth {Scan} picking on the most information given to fit that frame.
      Last edited by thePest; 5 Feb 2003, 03:01 PM.
      A Pest can be anything, Water, Animal, pollution, even a plant. A junk yard dog getting into your Garbage can be a Pest!

Comment

Working...