Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m1900666
    • Jan 2002

wrong settings ?

I got my first conversion from Divx to VCD done last night, and after about 30 hours of work and wait (I have a slow PC) I was excited to pop my newly burned first disc into my DVD player just to find it fail to play properly. After reading these forums though I am glad that atleast it burned at all, and that the DVD player recognized the disc and (for the most part) the data on it...

Here's my problem, hopefully someone can see the failure in my process. The resulting video looks like I'm trying to watch digitally scrambled pr0n, and the audio is jumpy.

I acquired the divx file, used VirtualDub to uncompress the audio. I then ran the full file through TMPGEnc, which took something like 28 hours. After TMPGEnc, I used VSplitter (I think that's what it's called) and cut it into two peices (VSplitter ouputted .dat files, is that right ?). Finally used Nero 5.5 (I believe) to burn it down using VCD and ensuring that the settings were correct off a couple sites.

The two links to the sites I was using during this process are :
    http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/divx2vcd.html and http://www.divx-4.tv/tutorials/burningavcd.shtml

I personally think I goofed by clipping the movie AFTER the conversion, but I could be smoking crack at this point.

Thanks for all help,
    m
  • m1900666
    • Jan 2002

okay, so would cutting the mpeg file using vcutter make the file unusable ? I have been searching all morning and have found that almost everyone else is cutting before converting. I'm just trying to find out if this is where I went wrong.

Thanks,
    m

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"used VirtualDub to uncompress the audio. I then ran the full file through TMPGEnc, which took something like 28 hours. After TMPGEnc, I used VSplitter (I think that's what it's called) and cut it into two peices"

1) If the audio is in .MP3 format, there's no need to uncompress it. TMPGEnc will handle it properly.

2) After saving your "MPEG1-Video CD" (NOT the simple "MPEG1" default setting) under TMPGEnc, exit TMPGEnc and the restart it. Under the "Files" dropdown, select "MPEG Tools" and then click on the "Merge & Cut" tab (Again, make certain to change the type to "MPEG1-VideoCD"). Do your cutting and saving here.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• m1900666
        • Jan 2002

Is there a way to tell what format the audio is in ? All I'm looking at is something that's supposed to be Divx with an .avi extension. On one of those sites listed, it tells me to run the divx file through virtualdub to uncompress it... hmm..

Okay, I'll try using the TMPGEnc utility to cut the film, and let you know...

Thanks for the help!
        m

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

My pleasure.

To determine the audio format used for your .AVI/DivX file, under Explorer, rightclick on the filename, click on "Properties", select the "Details" tab. You'll see information regarding both the audio and video codecs used to create the file.

Let us know of (all) your success ;>}

Comment

• m1900666
            • Jan 2002

Last night I used TMPGEnc to cut the file, and burned again. This time was alot better than last. I now have picture (not the greatest, but I'm not sure how good the original rip was) but the sound within the first 5 minutes of the video starts getting off from the picture... I haven't tried the vcd in my pc yet to see if it's just the DVD player, but are there any known causes of this problem with ready fixes ??

Thanks for all the help,
            m

Comment

Working...