Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LilCalvin
    • Apr 2002

SVCD on DVD-r with nero

I have a three hour movie in four parts (on four cds) that i would like to put on a dvd-r. I've been out of the game for a while so i thought like a newbie and tried to make it like i would make a SVCD on a standard cd-r. I loaded all of the avseq01-04 files in the browser but nero still wouldn't let me do it. when i would try to use the option to make a dvd on nero, it said i needed .vob's, .bup's, and .ifo's which i didn't have.

thanks for any help.

p.s. this wasn't at my house. this was at a friends house and he had just gotten a dvd burner with his new computer. i put nero on it and it's still an unregistered version.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Go to:

Comment

• kangated
      • Apr 2003

Yo LilCalvin !
      How goes it in the Big Easy ?

Sorry this reply is very belated but only just saw your post.
      You may have already solved this problem.

I have just discovered what can and can't be done.

I read through the link the other person gave you but it goes way too many steps for my liking and doesn't actually answer the question too my mind. (maybe I might re-read it in case)

I don't want to convert my SVCD mpg's into DVD format I want to keep what is a very very acceptable file size and quality of SVCD !!!

My big question to you is
      "Does your DVD player support DVD-RW format ?

If so my friend go buy some DVD-RW's.
      Then use Nero to burn a data disc with your SVCD MPG files on it.
      Wack it into your DVD player and (cross fingers) PRESTO you should get a menu asking which movie stream you want to play back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately and I have posted a thread in another area on this, the same result IS NOT ACHIEVED with DVD-R.
      I believe it is something to do with DVD-RW and what is know as "VR" mode which I discovered when I was thinking of buying a Pioneer DVD Player/Burner for my home theatre system.

It's like, DVD-RW is treated like being a VHS tape, can be written to and erased whereas DVD-R can be written too but not erased.

Anyway I hope this might be of some use to you or others.

KangaTed
      Melbourne, Australia

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To kangated

In your advice here to Lil Calvin, you're overlooking the need for an even more important capability than playing DVD-R/Ws.

The first consideration is whether or not one's standalone DVD player will recognize "plain vanilla" .MPG files on a burned DVD.

Most won't - whther on DVD R/W or otherwise.

I personally have several different brands of standalone DVD players and not one of them will recognize such DVDs.

Comment

• kangated
          • Apr 2003

EEEkkkkkkkk if thats the story then go buy a Hyundai DVD player - works like a charm !!! and super cheap (on special it was US $50)
          Take your point though

Comment

Working...