Clear All
  • PierreBe
    • Jun 2003

What program do I need ?

Sorry for crossposting but i am desperate

Hi all,

I want to put all my pictures I made with my digital camera
    on a DVD so I can play that DVD anywhere and show the pictures
    to my friends and family at their homes.
    I want to make a DVD disk because I have to many pictures to
    put on a VideoCD which is only capable of 700 MB.
    Can anyone give me a hint where to find (free or not) software
    to achieve this?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Don't rip me off, Scotty
  • The Edge
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jan 2003

DVD Maestro has a slide show creator built right into it.

PS.
    Cross posting is frowned upon.

Edge
    "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• PierreBe
      • Jun 2003

I found this:

"DVD Maestro:Very advanced DVD author tool that support all DVD Features. No demo available and it is no longer updated or sold(you may find it on ebay). "

WHEEIIIIIIIIII
      Don't rip me off, Scotty

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Since you are unable to obtain DVD Maestro, but apparently are already aware of how to make a VCD/SVCD slideshow CD-R, I'd suggest a slightly roundabout means of accomplishing your task, as follows:

First, use your standard procedures to create (a very large) SVCD slideshow on your hard drive. Then:

1) Use TMPGEnc to de-multiplex the SVCD file (usually "AVSEQ001.MPG"), as follows:

TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>DeMultiplex

2) Use "TMPGEnc" (Main window) to load FIRST the .M2V videostream and SECOND the .MP2 audiostream. To convert to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format, use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template(Under the "Advanced" tab, change "Source aspect ratio to 720x480 NTSC, or 720x576 PAL).

3) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" v.1.5.11.37 (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish). If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode

(Note: If the "package" of DVD files exceeds 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink to compress before burning with NERO)

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• PierreBe
          • Jun 2003

Tomorrow, first thing!
          Thanks!
          Don't rip me off, Scotty

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks!"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• PierreBe
              • Jun 2003

Well, it's not exactly what i want/need. Let me explain
              what I am searching for. I don't know if it is possible that way
              but imho it's not so difficult.

I have about 2-3 gigabyte on digital pictures, all 1600*1200 and
              about 900Kb/file. The images are sharp, big enough and good for printing. I want to put those pics on a DVD and want to play them
              - when possible with a menu - on any dvdplayer at other places
              (friends-family). I tried some programs like Pinnacle Expression or
              PictureToTV but what they do is compress the pictures into a movie. The movie is mostly bigger then the pictures itself, so Pinnacle indicates a compression of +-30% on a DVD.
              Not mentioning PicturetoTv which allows only SVCD with a max of 700 MB and the pictures are not sharp anymore (but it works..)

There must be a solution to put those pics on a DVD (the 2-3 gig)
              and put a program on it to slideshow them, without the need to make a movie from them first I hope... Otherwise they are always compressed and not sharp anymore.
              Also I have different directory's, let's say "Summer 2003", "School 2003", and so on. I would like to choose at startup the pics I want to see and not all toghetter like one big slideshow...the pics
              covers different places at different times.
              So actually the programs like Pinnacle Expression and PicturetoTV are working good, with sound and menu but the pictures are not sharp enough coz its a compressed movie.
              I could put the files on a DVD and play them directly with the filemanager from the dvdplayer, but it would be great if i had a autoplay menu to choose from.

Pfew, now I have to get coffee
              Don't rip me off, Scotty

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I have different directory's, let's say "Summer 2003", "School 2003", and so on. I would like to choose at startup the pics I want to see and not all toghetter like one big slideshow"

If you've successfully created several separate SVCD slideshows on your hard drive - and then followed my suggestion on using TMPGEnc to convert to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format, you can then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to load each of the new files as a SEPARATE TRACK. This will then allow you to create (easily) a menu from which to select the desired "Summer 2003", "School 2003", and so on.

Comment

• PierreBe
                  • Jun 2003

Still have the size problem as well, 30Meg of pictures is almost 300Meg movie after processing, impossible to put 3GIG on pictures this way on a dvd...
                  I need a program that selects the original .jpg's written to disk, not a movie made of it...
                  Don't rip me off, Scotty

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

Do a Googlesearch for ""DVD slideshow" (including the quotation marks) - and I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised...

(By the way, I really don't understand why you say, "impossible to put 3GIG on pictures this way on a dvd" - when we both know that a blank DVD can hold 4.37Gb. But this is not important)

Comment

• PierreBe
                      • Jun 2003

Impossible because most programs make of a 30mb file a 300mb movie! Sure I know you can put 4.7gig on a disk, but letting the dvdplayer read it as a slideshow is another thing...
                      Like I said before; I need something which accesses the regular jpg's on the disk, so I can put 4.6 gig of pictures on it when needed...
                      I guess I have to Google arround, but already did that and after 7 different tryouts with such programs it always is the same result; a big movie instead of a real picture slideshow.
                      I guess it has to be a movieformat otherwise the dvdplayer could not display it. Only Dvd video... (or MP3 on a normal cd)

Some programs had options like "put original pictures on disk"
                      as a backup, on a tryout the size was 300MB at that moment, after selecting the backup option it went to 330MB so the files are 30 MB and the slideshow 300.
                      Imaging what size it would be if you select 2-3gig of pictures
                      to make a slideshow; impossible

Last edited by PierreBe; 2 Aug 2003, 06:52 AM.
                      Don't rip me off, Scotty

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

I don't know if you've already seen this but, go to:

Perhaps this software will meet the stringent requirements you've set for yourself ;>}

Comment

• PierreBe
                          • Jun 2003

First of all, thanks for your continuing help, I apreciate that a lot!

And yes, I tried this program already, but it's like all others;
                          a 30 MB bunch of pictures will create a 300 MB movie.
                          I've attached a screenshot so you can see for yourself that
                          with or without pictures is not much, but the whole project is 10
                          times bigger.
                          All those programs create a movie (has to be to play on a dvd player) but I hope somewhere out there is one which accesses the files (pictures) on a DVD like in MP3 mode so I can use the full capacity of the 4.37 Gig to put all my pictures on in good quality...
                          Attached Files
                          Don't rip me off, Scotty

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"First of all, thanks for your continuing help, I apreciate that a lot!"

My pleasure, but I'm afraid I'm out of alternative suggestions ;>}

Comment

• PierreBe
                              • Jun 2003

I guess I have to take my laptop with me for a decent slideshow
                              instead of on a TV...
                              Maybe I'm to far ahead..

In a few years we put a memorystick in our brains et voila, perfect virtual slideshow with sounds, smell and feelings

Don't rip me off, Scotty

Comment

Working...