Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chriller
    • Mar 2002

Newbie desperatly seeking help....

I'm completely new to working with VCD's (and movie clips in general) - and by the way: I'm also completely new to entering af forum...

My problem is this:
    I want to burn a .mpeg1-video file on to a VCD (using Nero), but the result is soooo bad... the audio is about ½ sec. behind the movie, and the resolution are really unwatchable when I watch it with my DVD-player.

Please, does anyone know how I can improve that?

The original movie is in .avi format - and I've encoded it using TMPGEnc. And the original movie has a resolution of 320x240.

I would really apreciate your help...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"The original movie is in .avi format - and I've encoded it using TMPGEnc"

1) Did you use TMPGEnc to encode it as "plain vanilla" MPEG-1 or did you (properly) change the mode to MPEG1-VideoCD?

2) Proper resolution settings for MPEG1-VideoCD are either 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288(PAL).

3) Was the audio in proper sychronization with the video on the .AVI?
    Last edited by setarip; 2 Apr 2002, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• chriller
      • Mar 2002

thanx for your reply...

1) I did change the setting in TMPGEng to .mpeg1-video
      2) I set the resolution to 352x288
      3) On the original .avi-file the audio is also a bit behing, but it gets worse when I encode it...

Could it be that the resolution in the original .avi-file is simply to bad (320x240)? and can I in anyway change it to the better?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

" On the original .avi-file the audio is also a bit behind"

I would strongly suggest that you attempt to get the .AVI synchronized before converting it to MPEG1-VideoCD format. One possible way to do this is by:

loading the .AVI into VirtualDub

Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

Under the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Interleaving"

Enter an approximate "guesstimate" needed for correction into the "Audio skew correction" box. (You may have to adjust this several times to get it "just right", but practice makes perfect...)

Save with a new filename.

By the way, when you're using TMPGEnc to create the MPEG1-VideoCD, make certain that the audio is set to 44,100, as many standalones can't cope with a VCD with audio at 48,000...

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• gchester
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Feb 2002

audio out of synch

get Premier5 or 6 to re-synch the audio and video. then export to.AVI then re-encode with tmpegnc or flaskmpeg etc..

Comment

• chriller
            • Mar 2002

Thanx you guys for all your help

So now my audio is in sync. with the movie - now I only need to improve the resolution... feels like I've tried everything now, and nothing really changes...

Help, please....

Comment

• Jai
              • Apr 2002

Same problem

I'm having the same problem. I have tried numerous things. Initially I made an .avi file through Premiere 6, converted it using TMPEG, LSX and the Panasonic encoder, then burnt it using NERO. None of these worked in both my standalone player as well as my computer DVD drive. I get a lot of data blips and pops in the sound and unwatchable glitches throughout my clip. It's so bad that about 70% of my screen is actually black.

When I play the mpeg file on it's own, it is fine. Just out interest though, a few points - the original DV avi file was saved in 720 x 576 and I had to use TMPEG to convert it down; I also have tried to use a program called MPEG Corrector to ensure that everything was ok; when using NERO to burn the file created by MPEG Corrector I get warnings that I haven't encoded in MPEG-1 (which I know I have), that the file was stream encoded and that I have an invalid audio stream of 0hz and 1 channel. When I pull the properties of this file from Premiere, it tells me otherwise; Nero doesn't give me any warnings with the original Tmpeg file I created.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

• jacko
                • Mar 2002

Howdy Newbie,

If your original file is an avi and the quality is ok then you only need nero to make it a vcd just drag the original avi file into the nero vcd box and tell it to burn it will do the reencoding for you and make your vcd at the same time.

works for me anyway

Comment

• Jai
                  • Apr 2002

This was what I initially tried doing, but it didn't work. I had the same result. I have since also taken some other .mpg files which I do know work for others. Some were created specifically for this purpose from a tutorial CD. Again, same poor result.

I have searched numerous places for the solution to this, and it is happening to other people too, but it seems that no one seems to know what is occuring. I've just about given up hope that I can ever burn a VCD.

Oh, and BTW, I even tried using older, more "tried" versions of Nero.

Comment

• Batman
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2002

You may want to ensure that you have the latest version of TMPGEnc and that you have installed the vfapi companion plug in (both available from TMPGEnc website).

Secondly, do not install divx 5.0---it will cause problems with TMPGEnc. Instead return to divx 3.11 alpha and only if neccesary divx 4.12 (decline its offer to play divx 3.11 content).

You may also want to improve quality by using the quantizer max tab---increase the AFW compatibility header and "soften block noise" Visit vcdhelp.com and/or ask Setarip on how to improve the quality of a vcd.
                    Last edited by Batman; 2 Apr 2002, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Jai
                      • Apr 2002

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to give your suggestions a try today and will let you know.

Comment

• Jai
                        • Apr 2002

Okay, I just tried all those suggestions, and the result is the same. Chriller, are you having any luck?

Comment

Working...