X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Download-This
    • Mar 2002

New to VCD

I (finally) plan on buying a DVD player this weekend. Toshiba SD2800

First off, i'd like to know how the good the quality of the video files would be once converted to VCD and playing on my television.

Most of the VCDs i plan on creating are going to be random stuff i've downloaded. Movie trailers, music videos, television episodes, etc... I prefer the quality and special features of the actual DVD so downloading full movies and "bootlegging" them isn't something i am interested in (unless its a really bad movie).

If i am dealing with a few music videos all of which are about 320x240 for example, will they play well on my DVD player and fill up the entire area of a 19" television without getting all "pixelated"?

Also, i've never converted anythjng to VCD before. I have plenty of links showing my how, but i'd like to know what the estimated file enlargement will be.
    By what percentage will the file size increase?

From what i've read, TMPGEnc is the best way to go about converting .avi files to .mpgs, then vcd files.

What about Nero? It seems as if Nero does all the converting for you. All you have to do is choose new > video cd > and drag a video (.avi, mpg, etc..) into the dialouge.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to using Nero?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to any replies.
  • johnbmx4christ
    • Nov 2001

ok..i am only gonna answer a couple questions cause you are gonna get alot of different viewpoints on the programs mentioned..
    first of all..carry the pen behind your ear or get a shirt with a pocket..
    next...for vcd format mpegs..the file size is approximately 10 megabytes per minute.(i use ntsc)
    yes they might be pretty "pixelated" on your tv..it depends on how good the file you are converting from is...
    like you said nero can also convert but i have an older version of nero that doesnt convert.so i have to convert with tmpg which works really good.
    also check to see if your dvd player will play svcd which will be better quality.but you can only get about 30 mins of svcd on a disc.
    john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• Simon T
      • Nov 2001

I don't knwo where you live but I livie in Belgium and there we have PAL. With PAL your size must be 352x288. That's the resolution.
      About the ficture: On a 19" your image won't be pixelated. I have a Philips widescreen television of 82 cm at home and the quality is quite good (especially when you have ordinary 4/3-files (not widescreen, because you don't have to zoom to get the black bars away).

I suggest you just use TMPGEnc you convert, I never used Nero to convert but sometimes Nero say I have to convert a file but it's already a good file, so I don't put my trust in Nero.
      I never converted with TMPG because I don't have to convert from avi (I convert from MPEG2 (DVD-format)) but it seems a good program and I never had troubles with TMPGEnc's MPG-tools.

Good luck!!
      Still standing... ...also after the forumcrash )

Comment

Working...