X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LichenP
    • Dec 2001

VCD to AVI

Hi,
    I am having problem converting a VCD file (.dat) to avi. I had had success in the past with other files, but for this particular file nothing seems to work. The file itself plays perfectly fine with Media Player or PowerDVD.
    I have tried converting it using VirtualDub, VCDGear, GraphEdit and AVISynth.
    This is what happened:
    W/ VirtualDub, 3/4 (3 quarter) way during conversion I encountered error.
    W/ VCDGear and GraphEdit, the file won't even convert. They simply says bad format.
    W/ AVISynth, the whole file is converted well but the audion is gone. I suspect that AVISynth would work, I just need to figure out the audio part. Any idea?

Thanks ahead
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Use VCDCutter to first extract a "clean" .MPG file from the .DAT file. The conversion to .AVI (via VirtualDub) should then go smoothly.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• LichenP
      • Dec 2001

Thanks!

I didn't have chance to try VCDcutter. This was what I finally did: while Re-trying it again w/ virtualdub (& getting the error message again) I was able to recognize the section of the movie that gave the error. So, using virtualdub just around that part of the movie I found out there are some frames corrupted & I pinpoint the frames & just skipped them in the conversion.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Congratulations on resolving your dilemma ;>}

I'm curious to know what you mean by, "I pinpoint the frames & just skipped them in the conversion."

Did you delete the frames while in VirtualDub, or do you mean something else?

Comment

Working...