Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • austin
    • Jul 2002

Burning .avi Movie with Nero 5.5.8.0

I successfully burned a movie onto a CD-RW using nero under VCD.

The movie is a DVD rip, high quality, and widescreen.

When I went to play it on my DVD player it came out full screen, and looked stretched and out of proportion, and the frames were slow and quality bad.

However on my computer it looked real good.

Is this the process of the burning? Or is it my DVD player?

I have a brand new Panasonic DVD player.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
  • duronlib

I just guess that you didn't choose the right mode, you should choose NTSC instead of PAL, otherwise it will can't be properly played on your TV Set.

edit by admin : linking to warez version of Nero not allowed.
    Last edited by admin; 14 Jul 2002, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• cheeth
      • Aug 2002

I'm having the same problem with a 720x272 wide screen movie and I did specify NTSC, but as Austin pointed out the movie plays full screen and it's stretched on the DVD player but it looks fine when played on the computer. I'm using Nero 5.5.9.0.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Your PC will play VCD files of any resolution. In order for your standalone DVD player to handle a VCD properly, the VCD must be created in conformance - namely 352x240 for NTSC and 352x288 for PAL...

Comment

• cheeth
          • Aug 2002

How are you supposed to burn SVCD movies formatted for wide screen if Nero doesn't appear to support the letterbox display?

Comment

• NeWcS
            • Aug 2002

no, no, no.....Do not let NERO encode your movies. This is a wide known probalem w/ Nero. Changing 4:3 to 16:9 and vise-versa. If you have a high quality DivX that you want to convert to (s)VCD and not lose any quality use TMPG and do a 2-pass SVCD.
            Don't click here to see new movie releases

Comment

• DPOverlord
              • Jan 2003

so you mean to say when I ahve the bin or cue file of a movie, or an mpg for that matter. I should not use nero to reencode to SVCD format? how then should I burn it. Lets say I make the file an MPG with VCD gear, would I then drag and drop it in nero, and let it encode it to SVCD. I am just kinda lost on the best way to do this. Since I have a lot of SVCDS that look fine in widescreen or such on a FS tv, but only take half the screen sometimes on my WS tv, and do not know hwo to fix this problem.
              any help is a appreciated

Comment

• NeWcS
                • Aug 2002

If you have the .mpg already then there is no reasson to reencode it. Just use Neros VideoCD or SuperVideoCD option. If Nero is telling you you need to reencode it then you need to tell 'UNCHECK' "Create Standard Compilant CD". If you have a bin/cue then just use the file menu on Nero and pick 'Burn Image'.

Hope this helps
                Don't click here to see new movie releases

Comment

• DPOverlord
                  • Jan 2003

newcs I dont have any pictures but picture this. You throw an SVCD you made. You play it in a full screen tv and it comes out fine yous still see the two black bars as usual, and it looks great.
                  Now you go to a widescreen tv and put the SVCD in, it takes 1/4 of the screen not even wide maybe 1/2 up the screen and 1/4 across. It looks really small, when it should be the full way, or at least take half the screen up with 2 black bars. I need to fix this but all I have left are the SVCDS since I lost the files I had on the computer, I also have the MPG, what can I do to fix it so it makes the movie bigger to fit my whole 47" Panansonic Widescreen TV? I am willing to spend as much time as possible to make it work, since once I learn I can do it to the other 10 SVCDS that have this problem. Thanks

Comment

• thePest
                    • Feb 2003

Re: Burning .avi Movie with Nero 5.5.8.0

Hello "austin"

I successfully burned a movie onto a CD-RW using nero under VCD.
                    I'll take a stab at this. There are so many reasons why your display isn't right:

Not to much can go wrong in the ripping. So it lies in the encode.

By the above quote I'm going to assume you are working on a VCD.

When I went to play it on my DVD player it came out full screen, and looked stretched and out of proportion, and the frames were slow and quality bad.
                    What encoder are you using? Well a VCD is set at 352 x 240 NTSC or 352 x 288 PAL. A SVCD is set at 480x480. The movie you are doing is widescreen I assume.

So widescreen is not the same as anamorphic or 16 x 9. You need to set the display on your encoder to be "fit to frame {preserve aspect ratio}" Or something along those lines. Along with the above size to match frames per second 29.97 fps should match the NTSC 352 x 240 setting and 25fps for 352 x 288 PAL. crossing these will cause a problem.

Lat would be your stand-alone. Is the display set right? Are you watching on a 16 x 9 monitor?

Now if you are working on a SVCD that's another story. I'll see your response in the future???
                    A Pest can be anything, Water, Animal, pollution, even a plant. A junk yard dog getting into your Garbage can be a Pest!

Comment

• thePest
                      • Feb 2003

For "DPOverlord"

so you mean to say when I ahve the bin or cue file of a movie, or an mpg for that matter. I should not use nero to reencode to SVCD format? how then should I burn it.
                      2 separate questions here!
                      The cue points to the Bin which is a type of image file. If you are going to use Nero! Under "File" scroll down to "Burn Image..."

An Mpeg is treated in a different matter. If the extension is .mpg this normally is set for VCD and you should use the VCD icon on the left.

IF the Mpeg has a .mp2 this will tell you that is an Mpeg2 and you will need the SVCD icon.

Lets say I make the file an MPG with VCD gear, would I then drag and drop it in nero, and let it encode it to SVCD.
                      1st of all NEVER use the bin>Mpeg bad idea!!! Use bin>DAT. The problem is the Mpeg conversion WILL drop frames. Convert both? They should be the same right! "Not" That say's it all there. When you rename the file just add .mpg at the end. It is still a DAT but will fool the player on your PC in thinking it's a Dos extension.

As for loading the Mpeg or DAT into Nero. You should see a Blue ====== confirmation line. This will take about 3-5min. If you don't get this. "DON'T BURN IT!!!" Cause it most likely won't play

I am just kinda lost on the best way to do this. Since I have a lot of SVCDS that look fine in widescreen or such on a FS tv, but only take half the screen sometimes on my WS tv, and do not know hwo to fix this problem.
                      The burn program has nothing to do with this. It would be the encode problem. Seems to be set for 4:3 monitors and not 16 x 9. they can't be both.
                      A Pest can be anything, Water, Animal, pollution, even a plant. A junk yard dog getting into your Garbage can be a Pest!

Comment

Working...