Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jochenz
    • Sep 2002

TMPGenc, AVI -->> SVCD -->> no sound?

I am trying to convert a movie "Black hawk Down" from AVI to 2 SVCD using TMPGenc.

I use the wizard and split the movie up into 2 CDs using "source range" and "batch encoding". The movie converts without any problems or errors. The converted file seems to be ok, but when played I hear no sound.

How do I check if the sound was comverted correctly? Or is sound from an MPEG-2 file (SVCD) not playable in Windows mediaplayer?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If the audiostream of the .AVI is in either .AC3 or VBR-.MP3 format, TMPGEnc won't process the audio.

In order to determine which codec(s) you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• jochenz
      • Sep 2002

does this help.

vitrualdub also complained about a false or bad bitrate or something.

Comment

• jochenz
        • Sep 2002

I also read something about using an EXTERNAL audio encoder, because the encoder in tmpgenc is not al that!

agree?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Your file contains a VBR (Variable Bit Rate) - MP3 audiostream, which, as I mentioned previously, TMPGEnc cannot process.

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio

Simply use VirtualDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
          Load your original .AVI into VirtualDub
          From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
          Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
          Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).

TMPGEnc will now gladly accept the silent .AVI and the .WAV audiostream for input.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• jochenz
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by setarip

Let us know of your success ;>} [/B]

i did exactly the same thing, but did not save the avi as an silent avi. Hope this has no consequences!

But When I quickly played the MPEG2 file this morning, I seemed to hear glitches al the time in the sound. But the separate sound file (WAV) did not have these glitches.

I still need to burn the SVCD...only then I can check for sure if the sounds really has these glitches...

or do these glitches sound familiar???

I will let you know

Comment

Working...