• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CoWbOyPoEt
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Apr 2002

Sound is way off....

Ihave succesfully converted many divx files into mpeg files for vcd making, but all of a sudden I am expierencing problems. The divx file is a 700 mb file. The video is divx MPEG4 Low Motion, sound is 4800 Frauenhofer layer 3 codec. I have ran this thru virtualdub and coverted the audio to 44100. I then am running the original video and the coverted wav thru TMPGEnc and converting it to mpeg1vcd. I either end up with no sound, or the sound is way off. Any suggestions would be helpful..

Thanx in advance...
    AMD 2800 Barth
    1024 Gig DDR Ram
    NVidea G-Force 5600 Pro 128 MB
    Onboard sound
    2 x 80 Gig Hard Drives
    lite-On LTR 16102 B
    lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have ran this thru virtualdub and coverted the audio to 44100"

Why? You can do this as part of your conversion under TMPGEnc...

Comment

• CoWbOyPoEt
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Apr 2002

when I do this in tmpgenc without convertin, I end up with no soudn at all but a perfect picture... mmm???
      AMD 2800 Barth
      1024 Gig DDR Ram
      Onboard sound
      2 x 80 Gig Hard Drives
      lite-On LTR 16102 B
      lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

What's the audio format of the .AVI? Is it .AC3 or VBR-.MP3 (neither of which TMPGEnc can process)? If it's VBR-.MP3, do the following:

Simply use VirtualDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
        Load your original .AVI into VirtualDub
        From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
        Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
        Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).

TMPGEnc should handle the silent .AVI and the .WAV audio file just fine (assuming that the original .AVI was synchronized).

If the audio is .AC3, do the following:

**IMPORTANT - VirtualDub v.1.4AC3 is a specific MODIFIED version of VirtualDub!

Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub v1.4C-AC3, set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying" and select (under "File") "Save .WAV/.AC3" - and save as .AC3 (IMPERATIVE to save as .AC3!).

Despite the fact that .AC3 file extracted using VDub-AC3 doesn't play properly, PX3AC3Converter will do a perfect job of converting it to .WAV format.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• CoWbOyPoEt
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Apr 2002

When I open the file up in Virtualdub, it doesnt tell me wether the fiel is in .AC3 or VBR-.MP3 format. How can I find out??

Thanx again...
          AMD 2800 Barth
          1024 Gig DDR Ram
          Onboard sound
          2 x 80 Gig Hard Drives
          lite-On LTR 16102 B
          lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

In order to determine which codec(s) you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

(By the way, "Unknown(tag 2000) is indicative of .AC3 audio)

Comment

• CoWbOyPoEt
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Apr 2002

ok, heres a jpeg of my virtual dub nformation of the film.

Thanx for your time...

Attached Files
              AMD 2800 Barth
              1024 Gig DDR Ram
              Onboard sound
              2 x 80 Gig Hard Drives
              lite-On LTR 16102 B
              lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Your .AVI contains a CBR (Constant Bit Rate) .MP3 audiostream - which TMPGEnc should be happy to include in its conversion to VideoCD. Therefore, there's no need to first attempt to convert the .MP3 audiostream to .WAV. Simply drag and drop the .AVI onto an already started TMPGEnc. Set the mode to MPEG1-VideoCD and set the audio rate to 44,100 (Set resolution to either 352x288 for PAL, or 352x240 for NTSC under BOTH the "Video" and "Advanced" tabs)...

Comment

• synchron
                  • Nov 2001

Setarip, out of curiosity what is in the Audio info that tells you it's constant as oppose to VBR??

Also, you mentioned that 'Unknown (tag2000) is indicative of AC3. I've recently experienced this and Virtual Dub would not let me extract the WAV in either Ver. 1.4.10 or 1.3c or in Nandub which is supposed to handle AC3. The file info does say 5 Channels so it sure looks like AC3 format.

When trying to encode this in Tmpgenc, first it only allows the video part of the AVI. The audio is blank and when forcing it, it says 'Unrecognizeable format.' Bumping the priority of the Directshow filter from -1 to +2 allows the audio to be recognized but when trying out a sample the audio of the resulting mpg is too distorted (like it's overdriven - very crackly sounding).

So if I ever encounter this again, do you have any encoding tips?? It obviously sounds like I should extract audio first but this seems to be impossible to do with all the tools I know of. Is there anything else that could take the avi and extract the sound out, one which has the 'Unknown(2000)' in it???

Thanx synchron.

Comment

Working...