X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhyrexianSplice
    • Dec 2001

how to split and burn

hi

can someone advice me splitting my vcd into 2 parts.

can someone tell me how to burn a vcd with nero and then how to play it on my dvd player.

if u want to help me live u can contact me on msn rik4208@hotmail.com (if u have time ofcaurse)

splicy
  • el bizarro
    • Dec 2001

Personally I split my Mpeg File into 2 Using TMPGEnc..

If you have this Program goto File.. Mpeg Tools..Merge & Cut..

Load up the File wuth the ADD option..

Select Edit..

And then Select How Much you want on the First Disk using the Timing BAR..

As a rule of Thumb.. You will get about 1Hour of the Movie in High Quality onto a Single CD Rom..

Save the file and Then Reload the Image and Repeat for the Remaining Part of the Movie..

I can help of you require Further Info or Others will answer your question on due Course..

El..

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

If you do as El Bizarro suggests (which is the same method I use), just make certain to set the "mode" at the top to "Mpeg1-Video CD" and not simply "MPEG1".

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Gastric
        • Jan 2002

Are there any OTHER tools that can split the VCD/SVCD compatible file by file size? I'd prefer to just select 700MB as my threshold and have the tool split my video file into as many 700MB chunks as required.

Splitting by TIME takes too much thought and might under/over-utilize my CD-R space which requires me to try to cut it again, and again until I get it right.

Comment

• abdul
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Gastric
          I'd prefer to just select 700MB as my threshold and have the tool split my video file into as many 700MB chunks as required.
          Aren't you mixing two things up

vcd is time based and not so much cares about the amount of MB's.
          You can easily fit a mpg that is 730 MB and 1 hour into one 700MB cd-r to be burned as vcd
          Because of the way it is burned (raw data) you can fit more then 700Mb on one cd-r .................. but TIME is the limiting factor (not more then ~80 minutes) , you also see a TIME-line in Nero and not a MB-line

Or maybe i misunderstoodall this, because i never found a clear anwer on this one

Comment

• Gastric
            • Jan 2002

No, you're likely correct.

My experience thus far has been with DVDx to convert DVD-to-VCD/SVCD. It has a nice easy-to-use selector where you can pick one of the following options to cut your output files.

74 min VCD
            80 min VCD
            74 min ISO
            80 min ISO
            Infinite (no cutting)
            Custom
            Custom Chapters

As you can see, I can select 80min VCD and it will do all the work for me. A DVD typically results in 3 files which I burn individually to each CD via Nero.

It's a real no brainer.

However, with TMPG Enc I'm unsure what exactly to select. I'll try to cut the files at 80 minutes and see if each file burns and plays correctly.

Thanks.

Comment

• Spider1dpr
              • Dec 2001

I have found that the best way is to use the Mpeg tool/Merge & Cut tool from TMPGEnc. I typically run the time up too 1 hour 9 min and create a file name of (1). Then for the second half I click on (EDIT) highlight the total minutes from the previous half (In the second window) and copy over to the first time slot window. (The finish time of the first half will be displayed in the second window). After copying over you will need to reduce the seconds by 10-15 seconds to get a good overlap. When you get this done move your run time slider to the end of the movie and Back End Truncate the end of the movie. This will give you a finish time in the second window. Finally, name the file (2) and hit RUN...Seems to be very confusing but I have made numerous rips and copies that would blow your mind. And as for the rest of you, great job and keep the info coming in.

Burning with Nero:
              Simply open Nero
              Click on Video CD
              Open the Drive/File Name
              Find the (1) or (2) or (3) (depending on the piece your working on)
              Left click hold and drag the file number to the file window (The Empty Window)
              Let the file read
              when finished reading click on the Nero Burn Icon at the center top of the program.
              Let it run

Playing in a standalone DVD Player.
              First you must have a player that plays VCD's
              If it is then just put the section in and press Play/Enter...

DPR
              Last edited by Spider1dpr; 5 Jan 2002, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Gastric
                • Jan 2002

I have learned how to use the TMPG Enc Merge & Cut tool. I have to say, it's not terribly intuitive though I'm comfortable using it now. Using 80minute/700MB CD-R I can set the time span to 1:19:00 and have a few seconds of space left on the CD-R, but that's as close as I'm willing to cut it (pun intended) at this point.

I think I'll send a suggestion to the developer to add a nice, clean, and easy to use auto-cut-while-encoding feature as found in DVDx. If DVDx was just a little more error free and it worked with DivX (it loses audio/video synch all the time) it would be THE tool to use.

Comment

• KlingonAgent
                  • Jan 2002

Hi setarip, you seem like a smart cookie.

I' m having a bugger of a time trying to chop up 2-vcd-sized movies using TMPEGEnc. In fact, I can't do it (in TMP) without resorting to the most obtuse method, which I'll explain in a bit.

I like to use Flask (the older ver 0.594 I believe) to make standard white-book compliant vcds using the built-in BBMpeg plugin. Partly because I'm so familiar with Flask (45+ HQ Divx's), and partly because the resultant vcds look about as good as any I've seen. (Given the limitations of the vcd format). Nick Page taught me well. <gg>

But you know? The mpeg-1 vcd files FREEZE in TMP's merge/cut menu, and in fact, even in Window's Media Player 6.4.

IF I play them back and do NOT touch the slider-bar, they play back just dandy, but if I try go either forward or backwards (in either TMP or WMP), or even *touch* the pause button, both programs freeze, requiring me to Ctrl/Alt/Del/End Task to get out of them.

The files produced, I guess, are sort of like .avi files without any keyframes or something, if you know what I mean.

I tried an alternative method, i.e. frameserving into TMP with dvd2avi using a project file and the appropriate .mcf vcd template, but the resulting vcd file (presumably perfectly compliant) still freezes worse than a 16-year-old on a blind date.

The funny thing is, after I burn the 'frozen' files as a vcd, they play back just *fine* on my standalone dvd player! I can scan backwards or forwards in three different speeds!

But right now, cutting these files up in TMP to fit them on a reg'lar cdr is an excercise in near-futility.

If I touch the slider-bar in TMP's merge/cut menu, TMP freezes. If I specify either a start-or-end point in seconds, TMP freezes. If I use the up-or-down arrows, TMP freezes. If I use the advance }} or reverse {{ buttons, TMP freezes. If I sneeze or wear the wrong colour socks, TMP freezes.

As suggested elsewhere in here, I always specify the file as a standard vcd mpeg-1.

Know how I have to edit them? (This'll kill ya) :

I put the original dvd into the standalone and determine *exactly* where I want to split the movie.

I fire up TMP cut/merge, but before touching anything on the main edit screen, I type in the (new) vcd's filename - "Part-1" or something in the proper window. Then I load in the original vcd mpeg-1. I press TMP's "Play" button.

Then I sit on my butt for an hour or so until the slider plays (in *real time* !!) up to the break point. I then, *quickly*, hit the end }} bracket to specify the end of Part 1. Then I press "ok". Then I press "Run" (At this point, TMP has already frozen, but I have managed to get the file properly marked at this point, thank god). Then I cross my fingers, and if I'm lucky, TMP dutifully saves my new vcd file as it should. It takes TMP, (even for the first half, where it doesn't have to 'seek' through half the file) a few moments to decide if it even *will* save my new (cut) file, but it usually does.

I then have to repeat the whole process for the *second* half (Part 2; only this time using the start {{ bracket at the half-way point). This, of course, adds another hour-or-so of waiting to the mix until the slider-bar reaches the proper point again.

Basically, although this 'method' works, it is sheer madness. To make matters worse, if my attention gets even momentarily diverted, and I "miss" the proper break point as the slider-bar creeps up to the critical point, I have to Start-All-Over-Again !

I hope you or someone else can help me on this. I have spent many hours sobbing into my beers as a result. My world, as I have known it is crashing down all around me. I'm starting to take illicit drugs again. My wife is thinking of leaving me, which is quite remarkable really, when you consider I'm not even married. What do you suppose is wrong?

Oh, btw, I am using Sony's 'CD-Extreme' burning software (a 'Lite' version, I believe, made by 'Prassi' software) to burn the vcds rather than Nero, and the vcds always play back fine on the dvd machine.

" I will let you know of any success ". ;>}

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To KlingonAgent

"using the built-in BBMpeg plugin."

Something tells me that this would seem to be the only place that your problem could be arising. I say this because I too continue to use Flask v.0.594(PX3) for file conversion - and in and of itself, it has never created any problems for me. However, (on those few occasions that I decided in advance that I wanted VCDs only and no AVIs) I've given up all hope of using the BBMPEG plugin as a means of creating MPEG1-VCD files because it is sooooooooooo slooooooow.

For the sake of experiment:

1) Why don't you create a DivX .AVI file with Flask and convert that, via TMPGEnc to an MPEG1-Video CD format - and then try the cutting.

2) Try the LSX plugin with Flask
                    " I will let you know of any success ". ;>}
                    I'm counting on that ;>}

Comment

Working...