Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -==zamiel==-
    • Nov 2002

Bitrate problem when encoding?...

Hi folks, great site and forum, I'm quite impressed.

I have been having an issue with VCDs I've encoded and I hope someone an help. I've done a lot of reading and have learned a fair few aspects of encoding etc quite well [heaps++ of prac & re-re-prac ;-] I can't seem to nut the problem out even tho I've followed a few different guides to the letter. Here goes:

The MPEG1 file resulting from the encode process is of beautiful quality, very clear and crisp with good colour. It is [PAL] 4:3 aspect 625 line displaying a video stream in 2.11:1 [i think that's it] widescreen with black bars top\bottom and no video stretching. I have successfully burned it to cd with VCDEasy's CDRAO tool, with working chapters even! My Toshiba DVD will play it back, even ID it as VCD on its' LCD display, but I get playback issues every few seconds. Video tears, blocks, frames sticking and I sometimes lose time readout.

Nothing I do produces a VCD that will play back without issues\artifacts, regardless of burn method\speed\media. It is very frustrating to be this close to making great VCDs.

I am using TMPGEnc with VFAPI to encode PAL VCD MPEG1 file of 352 x 288 @ 25fps, CBR 1150kbps with MP1 LII 44,100 Hz stereo audio @ 224 kbps from a source that is Interlaced [field B] 16:9 625 line [PAL] and I am specifying the Vid Arrange Meth "Full Screen [keep aspect ratio 2]".

I am also using the following options:

Output bitstream for edit [Closed GOP] for chaptering purposes;
    Floating point DCT purely because it says it will stabilise video, which is exactly what I want [no?]

Something I've noticed when viewing the file properties of the encoded MPEG1 file in Win Media Player is that the bitrate is listed as "Unknown" ??????...[CBR 1150, no?]

Xtra info:
    my Toshiba [SD 1300] supports CDR\RW & VCD;
    VFAPI registered with DVD2AVI & TMPGEnc;

Would the aspect ratio affect the playback? Is Win Media Player telling me something [heaven forbid ;-] about the encoded bitrate?

I'm sorry, this thread is getting ridiculously long now.

If you can help, please offer some advice. VCDHelp appears to be down right now, but I am going to try to find a sample PAL VCD compliant MPEG1 file in 4:3 aspect ratio that I can burn to eliminate the encoding stage as a source of woe.

help...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Something I've noticed when viewing the file properties of the encoded MPEG1 file in Win Media Player is that the bitrate is listed as "Unknown" ??????...[CBR 1150, no?]"

The MPEG1 Video decoder used by Windows Media Player NEVER reflects the bitrate - so that's not your problem.

Try burning a SIMPLE VCD - without chapters...

Comment

• -==zamiel==-
      • Nov 2002

Yes, well I have done so @ 1x burn speed,,,, with working chapters but playback still has blox\aritfacts and sticky frames.

Help????? I've used many CDR types nad VCDs are still shitey...

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Once again, try burning a SIMPLE VCD - WITHOUT chapters...

Comment

• -==zamiel==-
          • Nov 2002

ok, *coool* i'll try burning one WITHOUT chapters and get back...

thanx....

Comment

• -==zamiel==-
            • Nov 2002

I've burnt 1 now @ 1x speed on a standard cdr that has no chapters and is 4:3 full screen, no bars, and it has come out the best so far but still has a few issues on playback. Sticky frames, artifacts and tears.

Still, it is an improvement on what I was getting previously so thanx for the advice.

I still have to try to improve the playback of the 2.11:1 wide VCDs I have been making. They are driving me nuts because they glitch so constantly, every 2-3 seconds or so. I am making them the exact same way, except for chapters and the difference in target DAR [2.11:1 on 4:3, ie black bars top and bottom].

Is there a better mastering app than VCDEasy? I checked out the build info and credits, it is based on the GNU VCDImager.

Should I try using that do you think???

I think that my player is maybe not the best at reading home CDR VCD, but I'd like to eliminate as much glitch as I can and I think now it comes down to process of elimination.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"so thanx for the advice."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...