X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zzzero
    • Jan 2003

Files get too large with TMPGEng

Hi everybody,

until a few days ago everything worked fine, but now i've got the following problem:

when i try to make a xvcd that fits on a 700MB CD, than the file is too large to really fit on it, although according to a video-calculator it should fit.

As it took too long to encode the whole movie always, i encoded only one minute, and found out the following:

(the settings for audio were: 44100 Hz, stereo, 128 kbits/s, system: MPEG-1 Video_CD (non-standard), video: MPEG-1, constant bitrate)

The filesize of 1 minute of a movie with a constant bitrate and the given audio settings should be:

with a cbr of
    2500 kbits/s ---> about 19,3 MB
    1500 kbits/s ---> about 11,96 MB
    1300 kbits/s ---> about 10,49 MB
    1000 kbits/s ---> about 8,28 MB
    800 kbits/s ---> about 6,81 MB
    600 kbits/s ---> about 5,35 MB

but when i do this, the file sizes i get are:

with a cbr of
    2500 kbits/s ---> about 19,3 MB
    1500 kbits/s ---> about 11,96 MB
    1300 kbits/s ---> about 10,49 MB
    1000 kbits/s ---> about 10,0 MB
    800 kbits/s ---> about 10,0 MB
    600 kbits/s ---> about 10,0 MB

So i can't get under 10MB/min!

Whe i set the system to MPEG-1 System (automatic), the file sizes are correct, but then my burn program (Nero) doesn't recognize the filesize correctly, and in the end the file is too large again.

So i really don't know, what to do, especially as everything worked fine in the beginning. I once had a problem with one vcd, as there were a lot of "still-images" in the movie, which were quite annoying, so i tried to do it again and changed GOP to 1 and MaxGOP to 18 (don't know if this would help, but i wanted to try), but then the described problem occured and i used the old setting again (0 for GOP and MaxGOP). But the problem remained. I don't know if that has got something to do with it anyway, but this is the ONLY thing i changed before the problem occured.
    I downloaded a newer version of TMPGEnc (2.59.47.155), but still the same problem. So if anyone can help me, please do. Thanks in advance.

Bye, Marco
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

My guess would be that in MPEG1-VideoCD mode, TMPGEnc refuses to encode video at less than the compliant 1,150Kbps...

Comment

• zzzero
      • Jan 2003

well, i don't think so, because i have a movie on VCD which is about 2 hours long, and that would never fit on one CD with a cbr of 1,150Kbps ...

Comment

• zzzero
        • Jan 2003

Some more information...

I tried something else: i encoded one minute of a movie with only 5 kbits/s. First with MPEG-1 System (automatic) setting. The file that came out was 1,54 MB large, the picture was of course very bad (only squares), but it played in windows media player without any problem.
        Then i did it with MPEG-1 Video-CD (non-standard) setting, and the result was the following: the file that came out was 10 MB and when i played it in media player, there were a lot of "stops" in the movie, first it payed a few seconds, then the picture and sound stood still, then it played again and so on, sometimes only the picture stood still and the sound went on or vice versa. It took about two minutes to play the one minute file.
        So once again, if somebody can help me, please do.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Since you've "messed around" with GOP settings and the like, perhaps you should simply uninstall TMPGEnc, reboot (cold), and reinstall TMPGEnc...

Comment

• zzzero
            • Jan 2003

problem solved

I downloaded the newest version of TMPGEnc (2.510.49.157), and now everything works fine again.

Thank you anyway.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Thank you anyway."

My pleasure ;>}

(Don't mess with the GOP settings ;>})

Comment

Working...