[Help Needed] Divx to SVCD - Making me crazy!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ov3r
    • Feb 2003

[Help Needed] Divx to SVCD - Making me crazy!

Hi all.

This may sound a little lammish (well, it does sound, and in fact it is..), but I need some help - despite having so many tutorials and howtos and stuff like that around, I still can't do a decent DivX - SVCD conversion!

Fact is that there are quite many progs who do the job, but is it just me or none of them can do the job by itself? - i mean, without any other programs

I've downloaded some movies - DivX - and now I decided to store them in CDs, but I want them to be stored so I can see them on my standalone DVD Player, with some decent/good quality. Also, I need to add some subtitles to it, as English isn't my home language (as you probably noticed from the crappy writing by now ) and I want to see it with my whole family etc.. I was excited about doing this on the few movies I have here, so I even tought about adding some menus and such, but, oh well.. forget about it by now. I just want to pick up my subtitles, my .avis and some blank CDs, do some burning and go do some 'home theathering' with my family. What would you advise me to do? And how?

Also, and maybe more important..
    I've been messing around with VirtualDub (amongst other progs), and I can't make a subtitle to work! they are always faster than the movies! In one of them I'm getting some error when I load it (bad compression or smtg like that, it advises me to uncompress the audio and recompress later, but...), but the others seems all ok, and I still have unsynchronized subtitles.
    Also, is it normal to virtualdub to make me 20Gb files when I add subtitles to the movies?! heeeeelp lol! 700Mb from the movie + 50Kb from the subtitles doenst make 20Gb of subtitled movie! and it wasnt even the whole file.. (I guess I don't like this VirtualDub at all )

I appreciate your patience and your help, and my sincere thanks in advance. Also, sorry for being so annoying.

Ov3r
    Last edited by Ov3r; 26 Feb 2003, 11:41 AM.
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

You've done a good job explaining your temprament...please elaborate on the problems you are facing

Comment

• Ov3r
      • Feb 2003

Done! U didnt read the whole msg, I got some strange error here and it posted only like half of it =) Sry!

Comment

• vbdragon
        • Mar 2003

Almost the Same Problem

I have downloaded DivX movies and also wish to encode them as SVCD's to play on my stand-alone DVD player.

I have attempted to encode the DivX via:

1) TEMPEnc then burn them as SVCD's with Nero
        This was unsuccessful.

2) Burn them as SVCD with the Nero encode
        This was unsuccessful. Nero could only encode hem as VCD.

Is there a way to decode/encode from DivX to SVCD?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• The Edge
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jan 2003

@Ov3r

The video has a VBR MP3 soundtrack which VirtualDub dislikes as you found out. This is why the sound seems to be out of synch with the subtitles. This is probably not the case. Use NanDub or VirtualDubMod instead.

Also, it seems that your resaving the AVI using no comression (eg..it is uncompressed, which results in HUGE filesizes). Select a codec in VirtualDub.
          PS. Nandub uses DivX 3.11a so selecting a different codec is not an option.

My advice for the moment is to get DVD2SVCD which allows avi input and *.SUB files for subtitles. If your subs are *.SRT files, which seems to be the case, you have to convert them the *.SUB. TEMPEnc is all well and good but does not have a subtitle option.

Finally, if you go for VCD (MPEG-1), the subtitles will have to be "burned in" or re-encoded to the video and be displayed all the time while SVCD (MPEG-2) has the option to turn them on-off if you player supports this.
          Also, you english is fairly good.

@vbdragon
          Welcome
          Same applys for you. Try DVD2SVCD.

Edge
          "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

Working...