Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyttap
    • Mar 2003

mpeg vs. bin/cue

Can someone explain to this newbie the difference between mpeg2 and bin/cue files? I have used Eazyvcd and it makes both.

I went ahead and burned the mpeg files and have a decent output but the program describes that it also creates the bin/cue files ("to do what you want with them" according to the author) and I was wondering what the difference is. Do the latter have options to included extras or menues?

Also, is there anyway to "connect" the mpeg files so that when one completes, the other starts?

Thanks!!
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

MPEG2 and Bin/cue files are WAY different

MPEG2 is a format used for DVD's and SVCD's

Bin/cue is much like an ISO (A CD image) Things like the program you were talking about and DVD2SVCD use bin/cue files for easy burning that have all the information you need in one file.

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

A bin/cue is an image not neccesarily a media file, it could be an image of a program or something else.

The advantage of the bin/cue image is that you can be easily burned with almost any software (it doesn't need to be analyzed by burning programs such as NERO. This reduces the chances that NERO would find any errors or refuse to burn the file.

Comment

• eyttap
        • Mar 2003

Thanks for taking the time to explain the differences in these file formats.

I have a few specific remaining questions: since I am primarily doing childrens movies to be viewed on a car audio screen which is 7", I am satisfied with the video quality of a vcd/svcd.

However,

1) Is there any advantage, video quality wise, using the bin/cue instead of the mpeg2?

2) Do the bin/cue have menus or any extras that the mpeg2s do not?

3) And is there any known way of "connecting" the mpeg files so that when one completes, the second automatically starts?

Thanks!

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by eyttap
          1) Is there any advantage, video quality wise, using the bin/cue instead of the mpeg2?
          No. They are the SAME THING. A bin/cue can be converted to a *.mpg file, and a *.mpg file can easily be converted to a bin/cue combination. This is not a different format, but an image.

2) Do the bin/cue have menus or any extras that the mpeg2s do not?
          No, it is just an image. It could be an image of a progam, and mpeg-2, mpeg-1, or any other file for that matter.

3) And is there any known way of "connecting" the mpeg files so that when one completes, the second automatically starts?
          Thanks! [/B]
          Most players allow you to create playlists. These will allow you to put clips in a sequential order, and enable them to start automatically without user intervention.

One of the reasons, as I suggested in my previous, post that mpeg-2 files are often put into the bin/cue combination instead of a *.mpg extension is that it can be easier to burn as burning software will not analyze the file (hence probably won't complain)but instead burn an image.

Comment

Working...