Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Majic
    • May 2003

MP1 to SVCD, is it worth it.

Once a video has been encoded as MP1, can one expect to get any real upgrade in the film quality, by converting to MP2 for Svcd.

Many times I try to go to SVCD, to be able to use the enhaced qualities of the Menus, but have found that the video clips, although larger are not really much better then the original MP1.

On MP1 videos with higher action, I am looking to convert up to get a better quality when viewing on a TV/DvD, but really haven't seen much improvement, especially with the size difference..

Looking for feedback as to the futility or not of making these conversions.
    Majic
  • toastem
    • Apr 2003

unfortunaly, you won't see any diffrence in quailty (except maybe worse) than the source file. If your source file is blocky, your output file will be too. IMO, just leave it as an MP1, unless you really want the use of menus...there is not point to re-encode to an MP2.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

As I've posted here many times in the past, the old adages still hold true:

1) You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear

2) You can't make gold from lead

The increased resolution of SVCD versus that of VCD will provide you with more possibilities of blocks and/or pixelization.

The increased bitrate of SVCD versus that of VCD will provide you with the opportunity to consume 1 1/2 to 2 times as many CD-Rs in exchange for no improvement whatsoever

Of course, if you're starting with a 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL)video and convert directly to SVCD (480x480 [NTSC] or 480x576 [PAL]) at a bitrate of 2,520Kbps, you'll obtain significantly better results than that of VCD...

Comment

• Majic
        • May 2003

1) You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear
        That's what I thought

Next question then:

Converting good AVIs, or DivX & Xvid, does this fall under the same category?
        I would prefer to make files as small as possible to burn (S)VCD, but don't want to end up with sub-quality prducts, so will use as much space or CDs as needed to get VG quality.

and

I noticed with KVCD templates, that they recommend doing conversions to non standard VCD (I guess XVCD) and then not letting Nero do any converting, just the imaging.

I guess there is a question here, but I am still experimenting with these various systems and am mildly overwhelmed by all the different factors to take into account.

You alls input and suggestions are appreciated

Comment

Working...