X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwajongen
    • Sep 2002

From AVI to MPEG1 - Audio problems

Hi,

I have a digital camera (Canon PowerShot A40) which can also record short movies (15 sec. in 320 x 240 pixels) in AVI Image data: Motion JPEG and Audio data: WAVE (MONAURAL).

I wanted to transfer these mini movies to VCD, therefore the first steps I have taken are:

1) Virtualdub to apply some filter (for instance, contrast, rotation etc.)
    2) TMPEG to convert to MPEG1
    3) VCDEasy to burn

Everything went fine on the video front but on the audio, although I can hear the original sound, I also hear a nasty distortion, it sounds like a high frequency on the background.

Given that the source is monaural, I have thought it was a problem when I have converted to MPEG, therefore in the Audio section of TMPEG I wanted to switch to Mono instead of Stereo, but I have realized that this choice is not among the values proposed.

However, I am sure the problem comes out when I do convert with TMPEG, because I can perfectly hear a good sound before converting the filtered AVI.

In addition, is there anything I can do to further improve the image of the movies, apart using some filer to adjust the contrast and brightness? Or the principle Garbage In Garbage Out is valid here as well?

Thanks for your help!

Alessandro
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"in the Audio section of TMPEG I wanted to switch to Mono instead of Stereo, but I have realized that this choice is not among the values proposed."

Under the "Audio" tab, click the down arrow to the right of "Stereo" and scroll down to "Mono". (If this is "grayed-out" and, therefore, not selectable, go back to the main TMPGEnc window, click on the "Load" radio button, and doubleclick on "Unlock.mcf").

"Or the principle Garbage In Garbage Out is valid here as well?"

Yes - you still can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear...

Comment

• kwajongen
      • Sep 2002

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.
      I have solved the audio problem but I am now stuck with the video.

In the zip file I enclose the information regarding the source video files (1 zip in this message 1 in the one that follows)

PROBLEM 1 (Horizontal file)
      The settings I have entered in TMPEG are as follows:

MPEG-1 352x288 25fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 32kbps

The problem is that although the "video arrange method" is Center (Keep aspect ratio) the image, once burned on VCD is too big on TV and therefore the quality is low, therefore I'd like to reduce the size in order to improve it, how can I do in TMPEG?
      Or shall I use a filter in the source file using VirtualDub (2.1 reduction)?

PROBLEM 2 (Rotated file)
      The second file in the zip is a source file that I have rotated using the filter in Virtuadub.
      When I convert in TMPEG with the same parameters as in problem 1, the image, once burned on VCD appears on the left of the TV screen.
      The funny thing is that the image size is smaller comparing to the file in problem 1, in fact the quality on TV results to be much better!

So, the question is: Why does the rotated file apper on the left of the TV screen?
      Why is it smaller comparing to the horizontal file ?

I hope you can understand the issues and help me.

Thank you
      Alessandro
      Attached Files

Comment

• kwajongen
        • Sep 2002

2nd ZIP

Here it is.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...