Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andyg
    • Apr 2002

jerky playback

I don't know whether anyone else has noticed this or not - When I convert AVI to MPEG using TMPGEnc and have Environmental settings set to Direct Show it gives a false frame rate - TMPGEnc informs me that every film is 30fps even when they're not! Is this an error? Lately I've noticed that every film I convert runs 'unsmooth' in the left/right motion scenes and I'm wondering if it is this or not? Anybody got any clues? Would this make a difference or is TMPGEnc simply cutting out some of the work that my DVD player would do? I've heard that 23.97fps is internally converted to 30fps by a DVD player so either way, would I have the 'unsmooth' motion? Thanks.
  • andyg
    • Apr 2002

Have just.......

tried loading in a 25fps Avi film into TMPGEnc and it said 30fps so can't be what I said about TMPGEnc being smart and doing the hard work for my DVD player. Anybody got any clues how to fix this or do I have to use G-Spot to check frame rate prior to conversion everytime? I use the direct show reader 'cos I find it always converts the sound, no matter what file I load into TMPGEnc.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Are you, by any chance, using an NTSC template/'wizard"? - which, by definition, would force the conversion of a PAL (25fps) video to NTSC (30fps) format...

Comment

• andyg
        • Apr 2002

jerky playback

No. My routine for doing conversions is to start up TMPGEnc, Load in the AVI file that I want to convert. At the bottom of the screen it then informs me how many frames per second the AVI file has and I load in the appropriate template. But, since setting the direct show multimedia file reader to the top of the list (which now lets me convert AVI without decompressing the audio) it always tells me that my AVI files are all 30fps (and if I convert at 30fps the result is jerky playback). As I said, I've tried loading in a 25fps AVI file to see what info TMPGEnc gave me and it said 30fps. Have I got something set wrong or should G-Spot now be the first step in my conversion routine to obtain the correct framerate? It's not that big a problem using G-Spot but I was just wandering why TMPGEnc is doing this since enabling the direct show reader?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Try clicking on the "Load" radio button and then doubleclicking on "Unlock.mcf". Then load your 25fps file...

Comment

• andyg
            • Apr 2002

Jerky Playback

Thanks setarip. Will try that and let you know.

Have been setting up my nice new Athlon Xp1800 that I built from scratch. Hopefully it'll be a bit quicker at converting mpegs than the struggling Pentium II.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Hopefully it'll be a bit quicker at converting mpegs than the struggling Pentium II."

Hold on to your hat! ;>}

Comment

• andyg
                • Apr 2002

Jerky Playback

Problems again!!!!! Setting up the new PC didn't go well last night. Because the old PII one has a bios system that doesn't support large drives I had to use Disk Wizard to format it to get the PII to recognise it. When I install it in the new PC, the drive ain't recognised (must be the format) - Think it needs to be re-formatted so I've got to back-up all 18GB of info onto CDR via the PII, re-install in XP1800 and bobs me uncle.

Anyway........ Let's get back to the conversion 'cos this is surely doing my head in now.

Tried the unlock before loading in 25fps AVI and it still told me it was 30fps.

I now also have another problem. The last two conversions I have done using the correct frame rate (from Gspot) have been brilliant quality on the first disk but VERY jerky all the way through the second disk (bit like watching a web cam.) Get this though - I never changed any of the settings (apart from setting the source range times so I ended up with two halves of the film) Any clues? At first I thought it was something to do with the speed that I'd burn't the disks at so I re-burned the second disks at 4x but the result was the same. Source AVI's play fine.

All these problems have started since enabling directshow multi media file reader. Before, I could convert fine but had to decompress audio and play around with AC3 files to get them to convert (which sometimes took me quite a while) so I don't simply want to go back to the way I was doing it before.

Thanks for your help so far Setarip.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"Tried the unlock before loading in 25fps AVI and it still told me it was 30fps."

Are you then able to MANUALLY change the framerate under the "Video" tab to 25Fps? If so, see what happens the next time you open TMPGEnc and load a file...

Comment

• andyg
                    • Apr 2002

Jerky Playback

Tried that - still told me film was 30fps when I re-loaded it and I know it ain't. The only way I can get TMPGEnc to tell me the correct framerate is to lower the priority of the direct show multimedia file reader to its original value (-1) As I said, if I have to use GSpot then this ain't a problem (Not now that it only takes approx 2hrs to convert a full film at high quality as opposed to a few days on the P2!!!!! WOW!!!!) but would just like to know why when TMPGEnc should tell me the correct framerate?

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Just curiosity - have you tried this with .AVIs that you've created yourself - or are they all downloads?

Comment

Working...