Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andyg
    • Apr 2002

jerky playback (still)

This is really bugging me now. Have been converting a number of Avi files to Mpeg format using TMPGEnc (which, may I add, I have done about 60 times previously with only a few minor problems) but seem to be having nothing but trouble at the moment.

I've recently started using the VFAPI DirectShow multimedia file reader plug in since no decompression of audio is required but now TMPGEnc tells me that every avi file I load has 30fps (even when I know they are 23.976 or 25)! If I convert at 29.976fps then the resulting mpeg plays unsmooth when panning left to right/right to left. If I use GSpot to find the correct frame rate of the Avi file and then load the correct template into TMPGEnc, I get an Mpeg that plays brilliantly for about 8 seconds and then a two second period where it appears there are frames missing (very jerky motion - a bit like a web cam) then it plays great again and then the missing frames again. The audio remains in sync throughout (there is a 'drop out' of sound every minute or so) Is anybody else using TMPGEnc with this environmental setting set to highest priority and converting without experiencing the problems I've described? Have tried playing the resulting Mpeg in Windows Media Player and it plays exactly the way it is playing on my DVD player so I know it's a problem with the way the file is being converted.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Be good enough to respond to my last question on your original thread of this same topic:

Just curiosity - have you tried this with .AVIs that you've created yourself - or are they all downloads?

Comment

• andyg
      • Apr 2002

Jerky playback

Sorry Setarip - Had given up on trying to get it to tell me the correct frame rate and proceeded to use GSpot, then change frame rate in TMPGEnc, but after converting 4 films the results weren't good so I posted the new thread just to see if anybody else was having problems like me. I didn't mean to offend you - If I did then I am sorry since you are the only person that has offered any advice so far which I am very grateful of.

Anyway, new problem is this:

As I say, with the VFAPI directshow multimedia setting at highest priority, apart from it telling me incorrect frame rate which I can live with, films appear to convert fine but on playback, every eight seconds the video appears to have missing frames for about 2 seconds (very jerky). The audio stays in sync though.

The original AVI files are okay. I know this because If I restore the directshow multimedia setting to its original value of -1, the AVI files convert perfectly but I have to decompress the audio on certain files (which isn't too much of a hardship). The problem I'm having doing things this way concerns AVI files that need the XVID codec. I don't think TMPGEnc likes this codec because it becomes very unstable when I try to convert XVID files. I get messages about read error occuring at an address in Kernel 32.dll. Other error messages are invalid pointer.

Do you know of any conflicts between that particular codec and TMPGEnc?

Comment

• andyg
        • Apr 2002

Jerky playback

Have read about ffdshow on a forum and installed it. Should I have had this installed previously? What does it do? Since installing it, when now I load an AVI file into TMPGEnc with the directshow setting as high priority I am told CORRECT frame rate. Am just trying a conversion. Will post findings tonight.

Comment

Working...