Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nibbler
    • Jun 2003

Trouble with Widescreen

Can anyone confirm whether the VCD format supports widesceen. I use the keep aspect ratio options in TMPGenc, but if I choose 'center' the sides get chopped and if I choose 'full screen' I get borders at the top and bottom.

Being as I have a 16:9 TV I'd love to be able to encode movies that actually fit.

I have been struggling with this one for some time so would appreciate any help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

(Read carefully)

Try the following in TMPGEnc:

Click the "Video" tab and change applicable settings to: 352X240 (PAL 352x288), 4:3 (NTSC or PAL as appropriate) 525 Line. Click the "Advanced" tab and change applicable settings to: "16:9 Display", either "Fullscreen (Keep Aspect Ratio)" or "Center (Keep aspect ratio)", and 352x240 (PAL 352x288).

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• nibbler
      • Jun 2003

This is what I am doing but with no luck. To confirm though, I have existing widescreen avis (usually xvid) whose aspect ratio I can preserve in tmpgenc but only with a border on the top and bottom. It is as if the VCD format will not stretch to letterbox but is quite happy to have a letterbox video embedded within it.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"whose aspect ratio I can preserve in tmpgenc but only with a border on the top and bottom."

How else would you suggest preserving the proper proportions? (Boy, try saying that 10 times fast ;>})

Comment

• nibbler
          • Jun 2003

Aspect ratio

Errrrrrrrrr, maybe without the border at the top and bottom ????

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Then your image would have to be stretched vertically, thereby not retaining the proportions...

Comment

• nibbler
              • Jun 2003

I know

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, I want to produce a VCD with a 16:9 ratio. I do not know how to explain it.

Comment

• AMD2400
                • Jul 2003

Hopefully that link works. If you already have an existing widescreen avi file, all you have to do is find the advanced tab under Mpeg1 settings and under video arrange method choose Full Screen (keep aspect ratio). This will preserve the way the avi file already looks and you can produce a widescreen vcd.

*edit* Disregard what I just typed. I just saw where you said you want one without the border at top and bottom.

Comment

• Thingy
                  • May 2003

You could also try the "keep aspect ratio 2" setting.
                  Make sure the source is set to 1:1 (VGA) cause avi's are rarely anything else
                  - The question is: Why?

Comment

Working...