Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toniolo2000
    • Aug 2003

Resizing video

I have a .avi video (DivX) which is 1.3 GB big. I'd like to resize it to around 700 MB, so that it could be recorded into a CD-R. What software could be used to do that?

Thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

As a first step (before getting into a discussion about running time versus filelength), be good enough to do the following:

1) Load the video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• toniolo2000
      • Aug 2003

Ok, I've attached a jpg file with the video information. I've loaded a 750 MB video instead of that with 1,3 GB (it will serve for the same purpose, as I plan to resize it too).
      Attached Files

Comment

• toniolo2000
        • Aug 2003

By the way: this 750 MB video is MPEG, not AVI (I don't know if that makes any difference for this matter)

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Ok, I've attached a jpg file with the video information. I've loaded a 750 MB video instead of that with 1,3 GB (it will serve for the same purpose, as I plan to resize it too)."

No, it won't serve the same purpose

"By the way: this 750 MB video is MPEG, not AVI (I don't know if that makes any difference for this matter)"

Yes, it matters

If you'd care to, be good enough to post the information regarding the specific 1,300Mb .AVI file...

Comment

• toniolo2000
            • Aug 2003

Sorry for that. That 1,3 GB video is in my brother's notebook, and I can't access it by this week... So I'd like to remake my previous question: how could I resize that 750 MB MPEG file to a 700 MB file?

I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused. I really appreciate your effort to help me.

Thanks

Comment

• kgb
              • Aug 2003

Hi

How to shrink a .mpeg file and an .avi is a different matter in purporse.
              If your .mpeg file has the VCD specification, you should not mess it up. Even if it is 750 MB you are still able to burn it on one CD, but you'll have to create a VCD. Use Nero, but i think your mpeg is not exactly a VCD, because it has NTSC resolution (352 x 240) but has a PAL frame rate (25 fps instead of ~30fps for NTSC).
              I am not sure if you burn it on VCD, that it will be what it is suposed to be.
              Instead you can do simple de-multiplex in TMPGEnc and re-encode the .mp2 file to lower bitrate or mono or even mp3 format, so when you run simple multiplex the mpeg will be < 700MB. You can still play that file on a PC, but not on standalone DVD player.

For shrinking the .avi DivX encoded file, you'll have to do some aspect ratio research and then successfuly resize the frame resolution.

Comment

Working...