Help plz :( mpeg conversion not going right!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BICCUS1
    • Sep 2003

Help plz :( mpeg conversion not going right!

Hi

As you will see buy my post count i am new to this!

Ok i have transfered my holiday video (dv)to my hard drive,Edited it,Then encoded it into MPeg 1 pal through MGI videowave 5 which is where the editing was done so i had to produce in there so had to put it into one format so thats the one i thought would be the best!

Ok so i now have 42 mins of mpeg 1 video with audio!

Now i open up nero use the wizard to get video cd page now i drag and drop the mpeg 1 file into the empty box and it tells me its the wrong format and need to encode it so to start with i click carry on with out encoding it burns try to play it and its blank, So now i do the same again but this time i let nero encode for me and it works but is very blockey like the pixels are stretched out too much??

Now i ma stuck any help please !!!!

shane

Update:

I have tried allsorts now but still no good if i play the movie in its converted state (Avi to mpeg 1 or 2) on the pc the pic quality is fine but as soon as i burn it to disc and play in dvd player to tv bluring,pixels and washey colours??

I think it may be to do with videowave 5 As this is where i transfered the video in the avi format then edited it and when i produced the final video i convert it to mpeg 1 and tried 2 in videowave but when i go to burn in nero i have to reencode for nero to work?????

I am really stuck now i am going to order a dvd copier tonight but don't know if to if its going to be like this!!!!

What do you all think is the best transfer and editing software for dv camcorder to dvd??

Just looked at file sizes with the small test piece i have been using

Mpeg 2 from videowave after conversion from avi = 101 mb
    Same piece after nero has finished encoding in mpeg 2 for it to be able to burn =22 mb ????????

Any ideas i think it is compresing it so far down i am loosing the quality?

Thanks shane

Last night i tryed producing the avi file in videowave back to a avi file then converted it to mpeg 2 in tmpge noe this morning i have gone to watch the mpeg 2 file on my pc and its all out of proportion very high pic and thin so all looks stretched upwards?

Went to burn it in nero and its telling me to reencode it in nero as its not correct type for nero??

any help please
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

Use TMPGEnc to encode your movies instead of using Nero.

Comment

• BICCUS1
      • Sep 2003

I did thst today mpeg2 and nero will not burn them as it says this is a mpeg 1 file and needs to be reencoded?

Also when i play back the file on my pc its tall and narrow like the aspect ratio is wrong

Comment

• BICCUS1
        • Sep 2003

Just to recap what i have just been trying

Ok uploaded the dv file from camcorder to videowave (avi file)

Edited the parts i wanted made the final product in avi file in videowave.

Transfered avi to mpeg 2 in tmpgenc .

This is now the file i am watching which seems to tall and narrow.

tryed to burn to co in nero but nero says not compatible with the encoding so wants me to transfer in mpeg1?

Help plz

Comment

• BICCUS1
          • Sep 2003

I have today just bought a pioneer 106 dvd rw drive is it going to be easier with this then my cd drive ?

hope so

Comment

• WildmanJoe
            • Jan 2003

After converting it to .avi, check to see if the .avi is the correct aspect ratio, etc. THEN use TMPGEnc to encode it. Skip the MGI VW, it sucks.

Comment

• BICCUS1
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by WildmanJoe
              After converting it to .avi, check to see if the .avi is the correct aspect ratio, etc. THEN use TMPGEnc to encode it. Skip the MGI VW, it sucks.
              Is that something i can change then the aspect ratio if it is how do i do it?

What ratio should i have ?

And whet is the best software for editing then if videowave is no good (and also to upload with?)

shane

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Edited the parts i wanted made the final product in avi file in videowave."

"I have today just bought a pioneer 106 dvd rw drive is it going to be easier with this then my cd drive ?"

You can now, properly, convert your .AVI for burning to DVD, as follows:

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" v.1.5.11.37 (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
                (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• BICCUS1
                  • Sep 2003

Thanks to you all for the help so far

So when i burn in nero where do i add the TMPGEnc DVD Author or are these part of the movie file then?

Also is MPEG2-for-DVD format, better quality than normal mpeg2?

What do you think is a good prog for transfering my dv video to for editing as my bad movies may be down to videowave?

What i need is something i can upload my video to and the edit ready for conversion in TMPGEnc ?I use a firewire card for dv to pc transfer!

any more advice or help plz i seem to be learning a lot but still loads to learn

shane

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

1) "So when i burn in nero where do i add the TMPGEnc DVD Author or are these part of the movie file then?"

You place ALL of the files created by TMPGEnc DVD Author (.IFOs, .BUPs, .VOBs) into the RED "VIDEO_TS" folder - and burn...

2) "Also is MPEG2-for-DVD format, better quality than normal mpeg2?"

It's not a question of better or worse - the files have to be in CONFORMING format for burning as DVD

"Thanks to you all for the help so far"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• BICCUS1
                      • Sep 2003

Ok will give it a go later !

Last question for now i hope any one got any sugestions for software for uploading my dv video to and the editing it in?

As my videowave does not seem to be doing a great job of it!

Thanks again shane

Comment

Working...