• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DonX
    • Oct 2003

Wheres the sound?!

hello...

I noticed there was a vcd/svcd specific forum...I have a question:

I just got thru making my first svcd. Encoded the movie. (v: divx a:ac3) with the correct output ratio, using TMPEnc.. Burned it using nero express' svcd proggy and it actually loaded good in my dvd player. Of coarse, it regocnized it as a vcd and not svcd, but thats not the problem. The problem was there was no audio at all. I switched the different modes from my amp, but still no audio.

the file when looked in G-spot reads it: nero video and audio encoded...

Can someone please help me with my audio problem not playing...

thank you kindly...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to the highest priority. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

Comment

• DonX
      • Oct 2003

A HA!

well, I did read that little hint in a previous post so Im kinda ahead of you on that. See thats the trouble, even tho its loads both the video and audio into the encoder. Its still enoding with no sound....or it could be my burning process. I dont know, all i do know is that the sound when played on my dvd player...isnt working..

and any reason why it reads it as a vcd instead of an svcd which I burned it as??

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) TMPGEnc is VERY unforgiving regarding proper headers on .AC3 audiostreams

2) EXACTLY what procedures did you use in TMPGEnc to convert the DivX-compressed .AVI to what you believe is SVCD?

Comment

• DonX
          • Oct 2003

I didnt use the wizard for starters. uh, resolution 480 x 480, bitrate 1600, 4:3 ntsc ....just set those up and hit start...

thats all really

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"thats all really"

1) Does that mean you didn't set the mode to "MPEG-2 SuperVideoCD"?

2) Was the audio set to "MPEG1-Layer II" at 224Kbps?

Comment

• DonX
              • Oct 2003

well...I dont rightly see any options for video and audio compressors....

I dont actually know if they were encoded in those formats...i cant seem to find the options to change it...

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Click on the "Setting" radiobutton - then explore the options available from under the various tabs, "System" (where you select the mode), "Audio", "Quantize matrix", "GOP Structure", "Advanced", and "Video"...

Comment

• DonX
                  • Oct 2003

I meant to post this ealier, but everything is in check

the video reads Mpeg2 -video
                  and the audio is: Mpeg 1- audio layer ll (stero) 224 mhz

question: should I be able to slect which codecs I want to use in those settings?? cause right now I cant

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

What about "System" (where you select the mode)?

Have you set this to "MPEG-2 SuperVideoCD(VBR)"?

Perhaps it would be easiest for you if you were to use the TMPGEnc "wizard" to select the required SVCD settings...
                    Last edited by setarip; 16 Oct 2003, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• DonX
                      • Oct 2003

yes..thats what it reads under system...

personally. I dont htink Im doing anything wrong settings wise. I was able to encode with no mistakes, and it fit onto a 80 in cd-r, but, its funny the audio just doesnt work...

tell me, have you ever heard of some dvd players not picking up audio? I tried all the audio mode in the amp and dvd player...notta

so, I think im gonna dl a dvd player for the computer...re encode the video and see if the audio plays in there....if it does, I will burn it again, see if it works...if it doesnt, then its my Nero...prolly doing somthing wrong...but , I dont htink so...

anwayz....thanks for your help and time...sorry I wasnt as detailed in my ifrst post...

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"thanks for your help and time..."

My pleasure ;>}

Once again, I'd suggest that perhaps it would be easiest for you if you were to use the TMPGEnc "wizard" to select the required SVCD settings...

Comment

• DonX
                          • Oct 2003

K, ive done some research...and Ive found out about a couple nice filters...ac3 filter and the matrix mixer filter....used to make 5.1 surrond sound encoding right?

anwayz...my question now is: Is there a encoder program out there that allows for these 2 external filters to be used...they are not exe which is a bitch and TMPGenc cant locate it nor use it. OR . is there a better, alternative to using these filters and where might I come across these?

some advise to encoding mpeg 2 video with ac3 audio/surround sound 5.1 for an svcd would be greatly appriciated...

thank u

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

Have you as yet succeeded in your original mission (to create an SVCD with audio), or have you just decided to go off on a tangent?

"some advise to encoding mpeg 2 video with ac3 audio/surround sound 5.1 for an svcd would be greatly appriciated..."

You'd be wasting your time, as that audio format is not part of the compliant SVCD protocol. Although it will play perfectly well on your PC, it will play with stone silence on your standalone DVD player-to-television setup...

Comment

• DonX
                              • Oct 2003

hmmm...no, i havnt concluded my mission...I ll have to keep testing it out, I still have my doubts tho.

and also, it was my understanding that ac3 was the audio format for dvd's and svcds....but I may have mistaken this for what it actually is...(mpeg layer2 ??)

Comment

Working...