X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • h0ax
    • Nov 2003

DVD to VCD Audio Problem

Hello video gurus,

I have a high picthed whine on my mpeg file when encoding to VCD with TMPGEnc. The rest of the noise is there alright, I just have this whine over the top. I am using a d2v file and wav file taken from DVD2AVI and the whine is not present on the original WAV file it just occurs after encoding with TMPGEnc.

I searched this forum and found a few mentions of other similar audio problems but could not find a solution.

Things I have tried:

1) Taking the 2 channel audio file with DVD2AVI insted of the AC3.

2) Taking an ".ac3" file from DVD2AVI and then converting to mp2 with BeSweet.

3) Selecting joint stereo in the TMPGEnc audio options (with combinations of the above).

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks in advance,
    --
    ToNY
  • pieroxy
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Nov 2003

Well, this sounds strange. First of all, TMPGEnc should accept as input any file that can be played in Media Player.

1. Convert your AC3 to WAV (ac3dec or anything) first and then see if it changes anything.
    2. Try to downsample the AC3 to 44.1KHz, which is the VCD standard.
    3. If you successfully encoded your soudtrack with BeSweet (I would recommend toolame, but anything will do), just encode the video with TMPGEnc, not the audio. Then start the TMPGEnc MPEG tools to remux both streams.

Hope that helps
    "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• h0ax
      • Nov 2003

Hi Pieroxy,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try later on.

I have tired with a wav file from DVD2AVI as well as the MP2 (which was transcoded from the AC3 produced by DVD2AVI), in both cases the file plays fine in media player but after encoding I have the noise.

With regards to using the mpeg tools in TMPGEnc, which format would it be best to do this with? .wav, ac3 or mp2?

Someone at work today suggested ripping to one large file from Smart Ripper that would include the video and audio, and then formatting with TMPGEnc for VCD compliancy. Sound like a good idea?

Thanks,
      --
      ToNY

Comment

• pieroxy
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Nov 2003

To remux your MPEG audio and video with TMPGENc tools you will need a mp2 stream for the audio. That is the only thing a SVCD player will play.

I see that you are converting a DVD. You NEED to downsample your soundtrack to 44.1kHz in order to generate a compliant SVCD. Some players might play a 48KHz soundtrack (mine does) but I doubt they all do.

Your friend is right. The way I do it is the following:

1. Rip the main movie with SmartRipper
        2. Create a DVD2AVI project, and extract the AC3 of the desired soundtrack in the same process.
        3. Decode the AC3 with ac3dec
        4. Open TMPGEnc and add the DVD2AVI project (tpr) as the video, add the PCM WAV as the audio
        5. Load the appropriate (S)VCD template (NTSC or PAL). Load unlock.mcf (you might not want to do that o ensure a compliant VCD)
        6. Check every parameter: 44.1 kHz, Stereo, resolution (352x288 PAL or 352x240 NTSC) etc...
        7. Cut the movie in two or more parts with the "Source Range" option
        7. Encode and burn the resulting .mpg files with Nero.
        "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

Working...