X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erik_N
    • Dec 2003

Large VCD/SVCD files,

Hello,

Ive got some DIVX and XVID avi's which i would like to convert to SVCD's of VCD's. I have downloaded several programs, but reading some articles on the internet, i thought TMPGEnc was the best program to use. So I installed that, including the plugin for KVCD and KSVCD encoding.

Anyways, my problem is, whatever I try, every AVI I encode doubles in filesize. What do i do wrong, or what should i do, to get a 700MB Divx movie on a 1 cd VCD?

I ve read the article on this site, but the filesize was 1400 MB is i tried it that way, and i want it to be at max 800. Got some tips for me? Thnx in advance!
  • dukenukem
    • Nov 2003

use xvcd and then lower the bitrate since it will be unlocked,use a bitrate calculator to see how much bitrate you need for 1 cd.

Comment

• Erik_N
      • Dec 2003

XVCD is a different program i guess?

Comment

• pieroxy
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Nov 2003

A VCD has a fixed bitrate, according to the norm: 1150kbps for the video, 224kbps for the audio. When you do change this bitrate (higher or lower) you create what is usually called a "XVCD". X stands for eXtended. Such a XVCD is not guaranteed to play fine on any VCD players. Though if you did lower the bitrate, most DVD players will accept it fine

So, no, xvcd is not a program.

To answer your original question:
        Divx and Xvid are MPEG-4 codecs. That means they can encode much better than MPEG-1 and better than MPEG-2. If you want a VCD out of your files, you will probably need several discs, because using the same bitrate as in your Divx/Xvid files will give you a bad result. Usually, a VCD (mpeg1) will accept 80 minutes of video. I would not recomment going under the standard bitrate since your quality is going to suffer greatly.

SVCD is kind of the same problem. It uses MPEG-2 instead of MPEG-1, but it also has a higher resolution. As a result, 2MB/s is a minimum bitrate I would recommend.

There is not magic in there. Yes, you can - in theory - create a VCD that does contains your entire movie, say 100minutes, but that is going to be a hell of a quality loss. Trust me, unless you really know what you are doing, you don't even want to try it.

Yes, multiple discs are a pain, but that is a pain that all (S)VCD users live with every day
        "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

Working...