X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrSnail
    • Jun 2002

De/Interlacing Question

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have been reading up on many forums and web sites about interlaced video and all the various deinterlacing methods.

However, there are still a few things I just don't understand, and searching forums and google has not got me very far.

I have converted many PAL DVDs to DivX, XviD, and SVCD over the years and haven't really ever paid much attention to all the aspects of interlaced movies.

I then took a break but have started to encode a lot more again recently. I understand what it is - i.e. being two fields being combined to create one frame etc, but I am still unsure on when I am meant to deinterlace.

Once ripping a DVD to the hard drive, I fire up DVD2AVI and do a preview of the video. On the vast majority of films I have ripped DVD2AVI has announced that the video is Interlaced. After reading all the guides I decided to use the Tececide (PAL) Deinterlace filter which comes with DVD2SVCD.

On one film I encoded, there were noticeable interlaced frames which this method fixed very well, and the final encode was great.

However, with many other films I have encoded I have used this method regardless of if I have seen any interlaced frames while watching the DVD, previewing it via DVD2AVI or though the use of a preview frame in DVD2SVCD. I therefore guess that the basic questions I would like to ask are:

1. Is it therefore un-necessary to deinterlace such movies ?

2. And if so, is the method to choose whether you deinterlace a film or not, up to whether *you* can see interlaced frames within the film, rather than DVD2AVI telling you a particular DVD is interlaced ?

3. I also read somewhere that most PAL DVDs will *not* be interlaced unless they are say a television show. If this is the case, how come DVD2AVI tells me that 19 out of 20 of my PAL DVDs are interlaced ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I shall welcome any feedback
    If at first you don't succeed, give up.
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

for a simple short answer......

interlaced video is meant tobe seen on televisions.
    u need to deinterlace them if u wanna use monitors.

having said that, dvd players like powerdvd , windvd, nvdvd all have their own deinterlacers thus its not that important to deinterlace the video.

so only if u see interlace video even on these players u need to deinterlace that video, otherwise dont bother.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...