Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goku
    • Jul 2003

Cannot convert avi file to VCD

I have just downloaded a clip, but i cannot convert it to VCD format. i have tried EO Video, Nero, Tempeg but none have worked. here are the contents of the clip taken from Windows media player:
    Video codec - ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder
    Audio Codec - morgan stream switcher
    Video size - 576x240

Here I have taken the info from virtualdub for the clip.
    Video codec - Xvid mpeg-4 codec
    Audio Codec - (unknown) tag 2000
    23.976fps

please help thank you
  • decryptit
    • Jan 2004

Try out pinnacle it will convert it using a customised compression ratio.
    Total Number Of Views
    Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
      • Nov 2003

Almost sounds like you have the video codec, (xvid) or in this case, at least you have the directshow filter (ffdshow).

I don't know what error code 2000 means, but perhaps you are missing the audio codec?

Try opening the file in virtualdub. Under "audio" choose "source audio" "full processing mode". Under audio compression, choose "No compression PCM".

Then choose audio conversion, convert to 441khz, check the high quality box.

Under file, choose "save wav". If you cannot save the wav, you are probably missing the decompressor (audio codec).

If you ARE successful saving the wav, then do this:

in vdub, change to "no audio"

change video to "direct stream copy"

Then 'file, save as avi.' That should make a silent AVI, simply the same video without sound. Notice as it is saving, that there should be no audio data being saved.

Then use vdub to open the silent AVI. change video to direct stream copy, change audio to wav audio (browse to the one you saved) change audio to full processing mode. Choose your audio compression as "no compression PCM"
      Browse for the audio source, choosing the 441khz WAV that you saved.

Now make sure video is set to source (the silent avi) and direct stream copy"

Make sure audio is set to "wav audio" (the one you seperated and decompressed earlier) audio set to "direct stream copy".

Now under file, select "save as AVI".

That will create an AVI with the same video as the original, but with the wav file uncompressed audio you created. Use that new avi as your input for tmpegnc. use tmpegnc's video cd template for the output settings.

If there are any errors in the video stream, all bets are off. what I said won't work, you will lose audio sync after encountering a video stream error.
      Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 31 Jan 2004, 05:24 PM.
      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• dukenukem
        • Nov 2003

dude you need to install the codec first to use tmpeg not just use ffdshow.So go and download the xvid codec.

Comment

• simbalin
          • Feb 2004

Since DrinkOrDie adviced u to use VDM (VirtualDubMod v1.5.4.1) and setting Audio to full processing mode and convert to 44.1KHz u do not have to remultiplex it. Simply use it with these settings and start VDM as Frameserver. (Video on Direct Stream Copy)

If u can't get it to work like this safe the wav as adviced by DrinkOrDie. Convert it mp2 using ffMPEG (fast) or BeSweet (old school) and use it as AudioSource in TMPGEnc u can still use the avi as Video -Source.

Greetz Simbalin

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
            It Was The Dog, I Swear!
            • Nov 2003

As with many digital video projects, there is almost always 2 or 3 ways to accomplish a task depending on what software you prefer. Nobody should be without virtualdub or tmpegnc if they plan to convert/encode digital video even though there are many programs out there that can do some of the same functions, these programs are the most efficient and easiest to use.

I must correct Simbalin however. He stated:

"Since DrinkOrDie adviced u to use VDM (VirtualDubMod v1.5.4.1) and setting Audio to full processing mode and convert to 44.1KHz u do not have to remultiplex it."

I didn't say to use virtualdubmod v1.5.4.1. In fact, I never stated a version, and I said to use virtualdub. However, either program is equally adequate at accomplishing the task. Thing is, certain functions might be in a different place in the menu, or may be called by a different name. To avoid confusion, directions I gave were based on VirtualDub v1.5.9 build 18121.(Avery lee) You are of course free to use any version of either program. They are all great programs.

It is correct that you do not have to remultiplex (using the newly created seperate audio and silent avi to make a new file) if you prefer to use virtualdub or virtualdubmod as a frameserver to send the output to tmpegnc for re-encoding to VCD. I was making an assumption that goku was new to this sort of thing and figured my answer was easier to understand and follow without going into concepts like frameserving or (de)multiplexing.

I don't think both and/or either program is set up to do that(use with frameserver) by default. Also depends on versions, etc.
            Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 15 Feb 2004, 02:03 PM.
            My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

Working...