Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fingerpupet
    • Jan 2004

AVI keeps stopping during playback

I have avi films on my hard drive but when i play them the pitcure keeps stopping and the sound continues to play,
    the only way i can watch the rest of the film is to stop the film and re open it and jump past the point where it stops, can anyone help me out please as this very annoying thanks very much
  • DrinkOrDie
    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
    • Nov 2003

Sounds like the same exact problem I have had with one or two files I have. Both were encoded with the Xvid codec. Using windows media player 9 , I had to jump forward a bit. I could even back up to the keyframe just behind where it froze, allowing me to play frames that wouldn't play from the forward direction.

I'm curious about this too.
    My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• shiny#3
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jul 2003

if I were you I would discard the usage of Windows media player 9
      there are different software players available on the software section of this site, that have very sophisticated enhancements, and they are all freeware as well.

for example the BS player or the MV2 player.
      if you really want to stick to a Microsoft product I would
      recommend a rollback to an earkier version
      of Windows media player.
      but I guess that you are both running Windows Xp.
      this makes it very hard to get rid of that damned Windows media player 9.
      the only known method is, is to do a rollback to the timestamp before the installation of Windows media player 9

if you like to you could also try out the following procedure:
      hit Start and then execute either of this following command lines.

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

or

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\windows\inf\wmp.inf,Uninstall

your Windows media player 9 should now be removed.

but I still would use the players that I have suggested.
      good luck

Comment

• fingerpupet
        • Jan 2004

thanks shiny#3 i will give this a go, but if i want to burn the offending films to dvd this poses a whole new problem, can you suggest anything???

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
          It Was The Dog, I Swear!
          • Nov 2003

I really wouldn't recommend screwing around with trying to remove windows media player 9. Besides, I don't see what anyone has against it but that's not the point. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Personally I think version 9 is the best yet. Just so happens that it "fixed" any small irritations or shortcommings that I found in version 8.

The other players shiny recommended are all fine in their own right but I found each one lacking in one small thing or another, or I found something irritating about them. Enough to not want them as my default player. You can always assign file associations so that only certain media files (like AVI) play back on certain media players. For example (i.e. only) leave the MPEG extention for playback on WMP, associate MP3 with winamp, associate AVI with BS player, etc.

I used file association settings to make uncompressed WAV files open with sound recorder instead of media player. Just a matter of preference.

Anyway that's not the point of this thread. The issue here was with AVI playback. The Xvid files I have that tend to freeze do it on BS player too.
          My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

Working...