Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • armaha
    • Nov 2003

Avi to VCD problem

I am quite new to VCD and all this video stuff. So I started with TMPGEnc's wizard, when I add my video file (avi) it says unsupported. I tried that avi file in Gspot : 4CC code DX50, Stream type - OpenDML AVI. I don't really know what all that mean. Sorry, I don't know how to take a snapshot of Gspot's results.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • DivXDonut
    • Feb 2004

install the nimo codec pack and then try running it...
    Download the Nimo Codec Pack, a collection of all the frequently used codecs and filters

Comment

• armaha
      • Nov 2003

It's nothing to do with codecs. I can perfectly watch my video file in BSPlayer and WMP. It's just that I can't load that avi file into TMGEnc.

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

After starting Tmpgenc close the wizard
        click option
        environmental setting
        VFAPI plug-in
        right click on "Directshow mutimedia file reader"
        raise the priority to 2

Comment

• DivXDonut
          • Feb 2004

Did you run the AVI through DivFix to see if it was corrupt in any way? The first thing to do when you get an AVI is to check to make sure it is ok.

Not only that but I always do a rebuild index no matter whether the AVI is bad or not as it invariably makes sure the structure is ok. As for raising the VFAPI priority, sometimes it works sometimes it don't.

Always make sure that the AVI is NOT corrupted before doing anything else in future!

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

I would do what tigerman8u suggested, except I would raise the "Directshow multimedia file reader" to the "Highest" priority.

Comment

• armaha
              • Nov 2003

I tried to raise the priority, didn't help. Still get the message:
              C:\my documents\...avi cannot open or unsupported. And I tried DivFix as well no errors.

Comment

• DivXDonut
                • Feb 2004

Codecs my boy codecs! what else can it be? I get errors like this when I use FFdshow through tmpgenc, I just rename the codec in c:windows\system32 and then run tmpgenc again. most of the time it works for me, also just to try it if for nothing else download and install the ACE MEGA CODEC pack!
                sounds as though you definately have some sort of codec problem to me though, have you opened it in Gspot to see what codecs were used to compress it?

Just a few thoughts let me know how you get on..

Comment

• armaha
                  • Nov 2003

I solved the problem. All I needed to do is to change 4CC code. I guess TMPGenc does not support DX50 so I changed it to Divx. But another problem has risen. My avi file is 586 Mb (86 min) but when I try to convert it to mpeg in TMPGenc the output file is more than 700 Mb. Why is that? Is there any way to fit it within 700Mb w/o loss of quality?

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

" I try to convert it to mpeg in TMPGenc the output file is more than 700 Mb. Why is that? Is there any way to fit it within 700Mb w/o loss of quality?"

Check the bitrate. If you go below 1000, you will probably lose quality. But if it is already very high, you might be able to reduce it without significant quality loss.

Comment

• DivXDonut
                      • Feb 2004

Use the wizard to do the mpeg and towards the end of the wizard there is a bar at the bottom, simply slide this until you reach the desired size.

Remeber though that the lower the bitrate the lower the quality.

Comment

• armaha
                        • Nov 2003

Sorry, guys, I can't find where I change those settings. There are 5 steps in wizard, which one you talking about?

Comment

• ormonde
                          Digital Video Explorer
                          • Dec 2003

" I can't find where I change those settings. There are 5 steps in wizard, which one you talking about?"

"Project Wizard" (select "Super Video-CD" for mpeg 2) > "Select Source File" (load your AVI file) > "Filter Setting" (Click Next) > "Bitrate Setting" you will see a window called "Estimated File Size". Use the down arrow to adjust the size until you get it at 700 mg, or a little below.

Comment

• armaha
                            • Nov 2003

No mate, I need VCD my dvd player don't want to play SVCD (i think). ANd by the way I changed settings with bitrate and audio bitrate from 192 to 160. Saved me a lttle space. But nero don't recognize mpeg file as vcd compliant, and it tries to convert it, is that ok? 'cos last time I made VCD it just loaded mpeg file and started burning.

Comment

• ormonde
                              Digital Video Explorer
                              • Dec 2003

"No mate, I need VCD my dvd player don't want to play SVCD (i think)."

Then just follow the same procedure, except use the "VCD" instead of "SVCD" template in the "Project Wizard" section. Try using a different burning application other than Nero if you are having problems burning. IMG Classic v. 0.91. is one that is mentioned frequently in this forum, and it is free.

Comment

Working...