Those damn double-sided DVD's, Please offer me some advice..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwisilva123
    • Feb 2004

Those damn double-sided DVD's, Please offer me some advice..

Hi guys, I have a couple of double-sided dvd's which I have ripped to my HDD, I have only taken the movie vobs & ifo from both sides and I want to use DVD2SVCD to encode it... the movie is almost exactly 90 minutes per side.

Now I could encode both separately but that would give me a 4 cd version in SVCD when I know a 3 hour movie should go onto 3 CDs quite nicely, however how can I achieve this with two separate IFO's for each side? Is there an app which will allow me to somehow merge the vobs AND the ifo into one ifo, since DVD2SVCD needs the ifo... or is there a conversion app which can take a list of vobs??? Any ideas? Surely someone else out there has at some stage, wanted to encode a double sided dvd !!! Please help me out!
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"how can I achieve this with two separate IFO's for each side?"

I would just "Rip" each side to it's own folder on your HD with a ripping application such as DVD Decrypter. Or, if you don't mind not having menus, you could use DVD Shrink in "Re-Author" mode to backup each side to a separate folder. Actually, you could use DVD Shrink by shrinking 2 or 3 times to get each side down to 700 mg so you could use 2 CDs (1 for each side, by creating a Mini DVD). See the link below for a good tutorial:

Comment

• kiwisilva123
      • Feb 2004

Thanks for the reply, altho I may have worded myself incorrectly so I apologise. I actually have already ripped the DVD and no longer have the DVD in my posession, I have 2 folders on my HDD each with the movie ifo and vobs for each side... all I want is to make a three CD SVCD out of it (or even a 2 CD but wouldnt that reduce quality?) , which I cannot do at the moment as DVD2SVCD only accepts one ifo, and it would make each side 2 CD's ...

But I'll have a look at dvdshrink, I think the only option I can do with that would be to shrink it down to fit the whole movie onto 2 cd's but wouldnt it turn out in majorly reduced quality?

I was thinking of somehting more along the lines of an app specifically for double-sided dvd's which can combine both sides into one large series of vob's and ONE ifo for them?? I'm probably stretching it with that one

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I think the only option I can do with that would be to shrink it down to fit the whole movie onto 2 cd's but wouldnt it turn out in majorly reduced quality?"

If you carefully read the last paragraph of the link I referred you to it states:

"The rate on a DVD is as high as 9800 kbps. A standard SVCD is below 2600 kbps. Also the resolution for a DVD is approximately 720x480, where as a standard SVCD is 480x480. More resolution means you get a better picture as long as the video rate is high enough."

Supposedly, even if you use DVD to compress a few times, you would still be at a higher resolution overall using the MiniDVD approach instead of SVCD.

"I was thinking of something more along the lines of an app specifically for double-sided dvd's which can combine both sides into one large series of vob's and ONE ifo for them??"

You could "Author" both as one with either DVD Shrink in re-author mode, or use a specific authoring program such as "TMPGENc DVD Author" (different from the regular TMPGENc) or DVD Lab.

Comment

• kiwisilva123
          • Feb 2004

Cheers ormonde, I might give that tutorial a crack and see how it goes, thanks.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"Cheers ormonde, I might give that tutorial a crack and see how it goes, thanks."

Glad to be of help and hope it works.

Comment

Working...