Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FilthyNarcotic
    • Feb 2004

Questions regarding editing MPEG1 in TMPGEnc

I have a video that I want to edit and rejoin. Its an mpeg1 file endoded with XVID in 640x480. I normally use TMPGEnc to edit these types of files, but the wizard only has settings of 352x240(VCD) and 480x480(SVCD). I am afraid of using the wizard and having it reencode the file, resulting in quality loss, or a new file with a bloated size. I have looked at the Merge Cut options in the mpeg tools section of TMPGEnc, but it is awkward and not as precise seemingly as when I use the wizard.
    So I guess my questions are:
    If I use the wizard will it take my 640x480 video file and reencode it?
    Is there a tutorial or something I am overlooking in regards to the merge cut tool?
    Is there another more intuitive program that I could use to edit this file and others like it?
    Thanks in advance for all your help.

~Filthy
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Editing MPGs is always dicey. With Merge and Cut, sometimes I get seamless edits, other times not. I haven't really done any systematic testing to find out when this occurs, but it might have something to do with frame rate, resolution and compression. If you use the wizard, it will re-encode. Depending on how many edits you want to make, you might find something like Video Studio to be more suited to the task. It will re-encode, too, but in my experience is easier to work with multiple clips and edits. By the way, I didn't know that an MPG could be encoded with XivD.

Comment

• FilthyNarcotic
      • Feb 2004

I see, I may have to check out VideoStudio as a last resort. I am loathe to reencode this file as the quality/size ratio is exactly where I want it.
      -I didnt know mpegs could be encoded using XviD either, until I managed to set it as my codec for video capture. Frankly Im glad I could, it encodes the video to the exact quality I wanted, without a 3gig file like with .mp2
      Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Comment

• FilthyNarcotic
        • Feb 2004

Just a follow up to my earlier post.
        I made a mistake, I DID NOT encode using XviD, not the mpeg1 files anyway. I used whatever default capture codec the ATI AIW Radeon uses during capture.
        I found AVI editing to be too much of a pain, as for some reason encoding resulted in horrible audio sync errors I could not fix. Though I found that AVI MPEG WMV ASF Splitter(found through divx-digest.com software section) works great for editing(cutting especially) any avi or mpeg files. Just a heads up for anyone having trouble with the mpeg tools in TMPGEnc.

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

Thanks for the update, and glad it worked out.

Comment

Working...