Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carla
    • Feb 2004

no audio?

hey everyone. um, i'm new to this video thing... today i tried to create a vcd for an avi file i have. i converted it using TMPGEnc and then split it (it was too big for the cdr) and then burned it onto the cdr. problem is, when i went to play it, it looks great, but it has no audio. looking back, i realised that the original .mpg file i got after the conversion didn't have any audio either (now i feel totally stupid for not checking before burning, but...). why is that? since i'm a newbie i used the wizard for conversion, and i don't know where i screwed up. could anybody please help me with this?

carla.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"but it has no audio. looking back, i realised that the original .mpg file i got after the conversion didn't have any audio either"

If you have the original AVI file, load it into VirtualDubMod (or any variant program of Virtual Dub). GO to "File" > "File Information" and post the information contained in both the video and audio sections of the dialog box.

Comment

• carla
      • Feb 2004

ok, i tried loading it and it told me:

virtual dub has detected an improper vbr audio encoding in the source avi file and will rewrite the audio header with standard cbr values during processing for better compatibility. this may introduce up to 13165 ms of skew from the video stream. if this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 134.2 +- 18.8 kbps)

since i didn't understand any of that, i clicked on ok... was that right?

file information was this:

video--

frame size, fps -> 576x240, 23.976 fps (41708 micro-s)
      length: 134992 frames (1:33:50:29)
      decompressor: divx pro 5.1.1 codec
      # of key frames: 2236
      min/avg/max/total key frame size: 1518/15279/42110 (33365 k)
      min/avg/max/total delta frame size: 80/4485/37217 (581518 k)
      data rate: 895 kbps (0.51% overhead)

audio--

sampling rate: 48000 hz
      channels: 2 (stereo)
      sample precision: n/a
      compression: fraunhofer IIS mpeg layer-3 codec
      layout: 337 chunks (0.02 s preload)
      length: 94460880 samples (1:33:50.04)
      min/avg/max/total frame size: 192/400/480 (132k)
      data rate: 134 kbps (5.65% overhead)

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

Your audio stream is mp3. In Virtual Dub, open your AVI file. Go to "Video" and select "Direct Stream Copy" and then go to "Audio" and select "Direct Stream Copy" also. Then go to "File" and "Save WAV" to convert the mp3 to a WAV file. Then, go back to TMPGENc, select the VCD wizard template, but this time load the "Demuxed" Wav file from Virtual Dub as your audio file and proceed with the encoding process. Or, you could “De-multiplex” the mpeg file that you encoded from your original AVI file and use the wav file as the audio source and “Mulitplex” it back with the .m2v file. Use the “Mpeg Tools” feature under “File” to accomplish those tasks.

Comment

• carla
          • Feb 2004

that worked thanks a lot!

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"that worked thanks a lot!"

Glad to be of help, and that it worked for you.

Comment

Working...