Demux a VOB and remux as mpeg2, can't playback!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solution
    • Feb 2003

Demux a VOB and remux as mpeg2, can't playback!!

Hello~

I have a VOB file, ripped by SmartRipper. I put it in Tmpgenc to demux as M2V and AC3 file, then i use Azid to convert the AC3 to PCM wave and re-encode to mp2 in tmpgenc. Then I multiplex the m2v and mp2 to a mpeg-2 file and drag it to my windows media player, it report crash the player before it can play! I try drag to media player classic, also crash, i drag to powerDVD, it work! I have tried both install-and-remove Elcard mpeg-2 decorder conditon, still fail, since i wanna use the mpeg-2 to do some directshow-based program encoding, so how can I make the mpeg-2 file work??

or any other method to convert the vob to mpeg-2 without quality loss (and fast in speed)?? thx~
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

" have a VOB file, ripped by SmartRipper. I put it in Tmpgenc to demux as M2V and AC3 file, then i use Azid to convert the AC3 to PCM wave and re-encode to mp2 in tmpgenc"

You can use SmartRipper to demultiplex the VOB file directly to an m2v and separate audio stream. (ac3 in your case). Go to "Stream Processing" and select the video stream and audio stream and select the radio button to the right that says "Demux to Extra File". You will have to use TMPGEnc to multiplex.

"i use Azid to convert the AC3 to PCM wave and re-encode to mp2 in tmpgenc."

There is no need to go through the extra steps. Use a program called "ffmpeg" to convert the ac3 to mp2 all in one step.

Comment

• solution
      • Feb 2003

thanks ormonde~

but anyway, how to convert a VOB to mpeg-2 (.mpg) file which playable without crash??

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"how to convert a VOB to mpeg-2 (.mpg) file which playable without crash??"

You could simply change the three letter extension of the file from .VOB to .mpg. Remember, a VOB file in essence IS an mpeg 2 video file with audio "Interleaved" within.

Comment

• solution
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by ormonde
          You could simply change the three letter extension of the file from .VOB to .mpg. Remember, a VOB file in essence IS an mpeg 2 video file with audio "Interleaved" within.
          but this MPG file can't be recognize by the editing software because it's not a real MPEG-2 header file~

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

I quote from your initial post:

"I put it in Tmpgenc to demux as M2V and AC3 file, then i use Azid to convert the AC3 to PCM wave and re-encode to mp2 in tmpgenc"

I'm confused. By the above statement, it would seem that you have already had success "De-multiplexing" the VOB file with TMPGEnc. This appears to contradict the statement in your last post:

"but this MPG file can't be recognize by the editing software because it's not a real MPEG-2 header file"

The problem appears to be that you just can't "Play" the file in WMP. Also, you stated in your first post that you were able to play the file in "PowerDVD". If your only purpose is to play the file, then just stick with the program that works-in your case, PowerDVD. If you have a different goal that you wish to accomplish with the file other than just playing it, then by all means let us know.

Comment

• solution
              • Feb 2003

oh sorry Ormonde, my description make u confused~

I want to get a real MPG format mpeg-2 file in order to put in some "direct show" importable software to do some edit and convertion~ so if the WMP can't playback the mpeg-2 file, then those edit software also cannon import it~

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"I want to get a real MPG format mpeg-2 file in order to put in some "direct show" importable software"

Unfortunately, what you are saying is still not true. Re-read my 2nd post again "Carefully". A VOB FILE IS THE SAME THING as an mpeg 2 file. That means the file IS ALREADY a valid (REAL) mpeg 2 and is DVD compliant. What other program(s) are you trying to use in conjunction with this file? as that seems to be where your problem is.

Comment

• solution
                  • Feb 2003

but what i find from some game website, i download some final fantasy movie in mpeg-2 format, they are playable both in powerDVD and windows media player without trouble, and also they can be import to editiing software, but DVD mpeg-2 file cannot do this!!??

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

You are not answering my question. "What other program(s) are you trying to use in conjunction with this file?" (Editing Software) Also, use a free program called "GSpot" and open the VOB file. Post a screen shot of the file information results.

Comment

• solution
                      • Feb 2003

oh~ i'm using Mpegable Broadcaster as converter and wanna convert mpeg-2 into mp4 through this~
                      and also, use Gspot to capture the info of the original VOB, or the mpeg-2 file?

Comment

• bond_d9
                        • Mar 2004

theoretically you can store a mpeg-2 stream in .mp4 directly, but no tool exists, which can do this

.mp4 are most of the time mpeg-4 btw

Comment

Working...